[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

need a new camera, suggestions please

Bookmark and Share
    ReeferMike - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Question need a new camera, suggestions please

i need a new digital camera. i have a cannon a630 powershot, that in its day was pretty decent (for my standards). it still works, but the auto lenscap is busted so its hard to keep the lense clean, and the battery door latch is broke so i need to hold it togeather with tape which makes it a real pain in the arse to get the memory card in and out, not to mention its kinda embarassing lol. so im wanting a new one real soon.

i dont want a professional multi-lense rig... i enjoy photography but the last thing i need is another expensive hobby... so im looking for a point and shoot that will take some decent shots. id like a macro setting, image stabilizer, any other feature i might want for closeups of the fish tank, but also good for everyday use for the kids and whatnot.

id also like for it to not be huge, and somewhat durable (considering that it is a camera of course)

any suggestions to fit the bill?

thanks

ReeferMike - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

anybody?!?!?! echo, echo, ecchhoo

handlevandal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jacki
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

A couple of years ago I was looking for a pocket sized digital camera that I could use in my tanks and for just carrying around and Junior suggested an Olympus that I absolutely love. My daughter steals it on a regular basis. I've kept the thing in my back pocket while wandering about the Porcupine Mountains and on vacation and I've dropped it and stepped on it, found it under the car seat in 95 degree weather, taken movies of an emerald crab from inside my tank and it still takes great pictures. It doesn't save in RAW format, but that was the only issue I've ever had with it. Takes great pictures. If you're looking for a really small camera that can take a beating and still take really good pictures you might want to look at the digital Stylus Tough line. The model I have isn't available any more but the new ones look very much like it and the prices are decent.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...on=stylustough

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

I have a fujifilm s2000hd. Its very easy to use and was affordable, $300 range. Takes great point and shoot pics has a macro mode that does a good job 15x zoom which is great I took a pic of a bird in the neighbors yard looked like I was standing right next to it. Cannon makes one that was about $50 more and it may have been a better camera to those who know but I tried both and the fujifilm was much easier to just pic up and take good pics.