[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

need new camera

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    youngtimothy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default need new camera

It's time to get a new dslr. we have been using a sony alpha 100 up till now with good results. we would like to switch to either a Nikon or Canon, what are your suggestions and why? we are looking at the price range of the Nikon d90. the camera will be used mainly for indoor swim team photos (lower light action zoom shots) kid pictures and of coarse macro coral shots. thanks for any help!

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by youngtimothy View Post
    It's time to get a new dslr. we have been using a sony alpha 100 up till now with good results. we would like to switch to either a Nikon or Canon, what are your suggestions and why? we are looking at the price range of the Nikon d90. the camera will be used mainly for indoor swim team photos (lower light action zoom shots) kid pictures and of coarse macro coral shots. thanks for any help!
    To be honest don't spend a lot on the camera itself, yea the more expensive ones have nice features, like i'd get the Canon T1i, just cause oyu can shoot HD video with it, If not get a model lower or something.

Spend your money on lenses! Thats where its at. Low light? your gonna need a good lens to shoot in that. Macro? I'd say the the canon (if you went with canon) 100m 2.8 Macro lens.

You could have an awesome camera... but a crappy lens and get bad results.

RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

Do not buy a DSLR because you want to take video with it. Buy a Digital camcorder to take Video. You don't buy a convertible car to haul lumber. Sure you can, but why not buy the correct tool for the job you want to accomplish?

Personally, I ADORE the Nikon D90, or D300s. They are, however expensive. If you are looking at a decent entry-level Nikon DSLR, you might want to have a look at the D50 or D60. About $600 with a lens, charger, battery, and a few other things. It's Nikon's entry-level DSLR. They use the same sensor as the higher-end models.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by RedfordReefer View Post
    Do not buy a DSLR because you want to take video with it. Buy a Digital camcorder to take Video. You don't buy a convertible car to haul lumber. Sure you can, but why not buy the correct tool for the job you want to accomplish?

Personally, I ADORE the Nikon D90, or D300s. They are, however expensive. If you are looking at a decent entry-level Nikon DSLR, you might want to have a look at the D50 or D60. About $600 with a lens, charger, battery, and a few other things. It's Nikon's entry-level DSLR. They use the same sensor as the higher-end models.
    i guess i kinda wrote that wrong. None the less not what i was trying to say. Im just saying don't go blow a ton of money on a dSLR, because no matter what any pro photographer says its the lens that makes a picture. Go on ebay buy a used canon Xti or something.

I have a Canon Digital rebel, one of canons first dSLR. I've gotten some amazing comments on the pictures i've taken. Here's some samples of the pics i've taken Some of my Non SW Photo's.

How old is my camera? About 10 years old. paid 187$ for it.

----------------

On to shooting inside/low light. Your gonna need a good lens. A lens that can capture a lot of light no matter what company you go with.

fawkes - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I shot professionally for years - and my 35mm was a SLR. Recently I tried to move images from my Olympus to any machine and discovered poor support for smartmedia as well as the driver for my smartmedia device. So I have been looking to replace the camera.

I wonder if the SLR cameras are the right choice. There are some cameras with 18X (and more) zoom and they support excellent macro photography. What kind of work would you be doing that requires you to have lenses that fall outside of these zoom ranges? If you can do the macro work as well, I come to the conclusion to save the complexity and cash.

FWIW my search led me to the Panasonic line - because of the Leica lenses. There are a copule capable models that will fit in an underwater case, and one model that claims to be waterproof to 40 meters (if memory serves me right). I haven't made a decision yet, but I am doubting that it will be a SLR. I was at one of the big box stores yesterday and noticed one of the Nikon Coolpix models that is extraordinarily thin. It is not exactly what I want, but a very good choice for those that are looking for a capable camera in a thin package...

There is a great comparison site on the internet if you search for digital camera comparison.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Tagging along for the camera education, but a bit curious about the swimming! Both my brother and I competitively swam to our late teens early twenties. He was a way better setting many state, national and pool records even going to olympic trials!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

youngtimothy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    Tagging along for the camera education, but a bit curious about the swimming! Both my brother and I competitively swam to our late teens early twenties. He was a way better setting many state, national and pool records even going to olympic trials!
    sweet! both my son and daughter swim, my son swims high school (D3) and YMCA he holds our school 100 fly record as a junior and made all conference and all state in the 100 fly and the 200 I.M., also made nationals in the 100 fly for the Y. this year should be good as well. my daughter is a sophmore and is in season now and doing well, but her passion is dance.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by youngtimothy View Post
    sweet! both my son and daughter swim, my son swims high school (D3) and YMCA he holds our school 100 fly record as a junior and made all conference and all state in the 100 fly and the 200 I.M., also made nationals in the 100 fly for the Y. this year should be good as well. my daughter is a sophmore and is in season now and doing well, but her passion is dance.
    Ha, those were my events too. Sounds like your son is way better than I was. Senior year of high school was my best year. Broke 1 min in Conf. finals. Made it in with a 1:04 but finished finals with a :54. Surprised the **** out of myself and just about everyone at the event.!
    My brother swam the 200 fly, I think the 400 I.M. Junior year of college he added the mile.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

I love my Nikon D-series. And, if you are planning to shoot pics of coral AND swimming, then I have the lens for you! Nikon's VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm lens is awesome.

Honestly, I haven't switched to any other lens for anything I do in the almost two years that I have owned the lens. Get a GOOD used Nikon D- body, and that lens, and you will be very pleased with the results. The vibration system has almost turned me into a photographer!

The old D-50 is still readily available, and fits into the mitts of a larger person. You likely won't need pics any larger than it can handle...

Myteemouse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

this was taken with a canon XSi with stock lens 18x55
    sept27008 - need new camera
    President of Zoaholics anonymous.
    still on first step of twelve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last