[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Photography

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    BUGZME - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default Photography

I was just wondering what setting people use on their digital cameras for tank shots and how they took their pictures. Being an old fart I went to a class and forgot half of what was said. I think this would be a great time to share our knowledge and expertise!
    THANKS JEFF
    2-45 GALLON FRAG TANKS
    55 SHOW TANK

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I use a FujiFinepixA210,its only a 3.2MP,it has limited white balance settings which wont allow me to take accurate pics under blue light.I generally shoot in macro mode witht the highest resolution(3.2).I sometimes adjust it to -2 or lower if i'm focusing on brightly lit subjects.But generally i just move the cam around the subject while holding the button half-way until i find the right brightness then move it back to take the pic.

So do you shoot in manual mode and set the shutter speeds ?
    THANKS JEFF
    2-45 GALLON FRAG TANKS
    55 SHOW TANK

yes,in manual mode,on my cam it only has 5 different white balance settings and i use the one for flourescent lighting.I also can only adjust the exposure in manual mode(not sure if that affects shutter spped),i'm ignorant when it comes to photography so you'll have to ecuse me.

So am I! I get 1 good shot for every 20 I take. Do you use a tripod?
    THANKS JEFF
    2-45 GALLON FRAG TANKS
    55 SHOW TANK

David, you really need to take a couple of pic's of your tank and enter it again! your tank is really pretty.
    THANKS JEFF
    2-45 GALLON FRAG TANKS
    55 SHOW TANK

i rarely use a tripod although i probably should more often.I can take coral pics OK,but i struggle trying to take a decent tank shot of my flourescent lit LPS tank.Thanks for the kind words,i'm gonna try to get some decent pics so i can re-enter

tileman - Reefkeeper CR Member

Jeff, if you put your camera to the manual (pasm) mode and then your white balance to Daylight and your ISO to 100, then put it in macro mode (the flower) then with your tri pod up almost against the glass hold your button half way down so it focuses and then when you get the green light showing press the button and woo hoo you got a great shot.
    225g Full reef, 300g total Deltec AP702, PF601S, FR509. 18 months old
    65g reef, Euroreef skimmer, 4yrs old

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Our older Kodak 3.2Mpix camera does okay on macro mode, it doesn't quite catch the flourecsing colors as well as I'd like, dropping white level down to -1 helps, definately the tripod and as close to the glass as possible. Stay with the optical zoom though, when I try the digital zoom it just makes a mess for me.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Digital zoom is just marketing ... it just makes the pixels larger. You can do the same thing, only better, in Photoshop.

Optical zoom, now ... that's `real'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last