[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Think these zoos are in trouble?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Think these zoos are in trouble?

Changed flow a bit and the nem shifted a bit more center in the tank. I wouldn't want be that little colony of nuclear greens, lol.photobucket 2527 1319648767123 - Think these zoos are in trouble?

a few more useless pics while I'm at it.photobucket 4787 1319238556763 - Think these zoos are in trouble?photobucket 4279 1319649143404 - Think these zoos are in trouble?9.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/rmalone68/1602945231_photobucket_86044_.jpg[/IMG]
    photobucket 3955 1319649232508 - Think these zoos are in trouble?

and my poor lil buddy with a busted femur.photobucket 4279 1319649143404 - Think these zoos are in trouble?photobucket 2825 1319649256581 - Think these zoos are in trouble?
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I do believe that is the biggest nem I've ever seen! What is that white X in the center? I noticed it on your avatar pic too.

Poor lil guy how did he break his femur?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

My lil buddy broke by falling off a play scape at day care. Spiral fracture 12wks in that cast.

The white marking around that mouth make it "lightning bolt RBTA" they are worth like $500 each, and they are for sale...well thats my story and I'm sticking to it, lol.

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Yup, I'd say those z's are going to be toast (or at least most of them within it's reach). Either move them or the nem. Anything my nems gets close to, they die. Packs a powerful sting and I had to get something off my sandbed a while ago and it hit me....felt like my arm was on fire and had red dots all over my forearm.

The question was sarcastic, there will be casualties. The zoos are at the bottom of the pile of rocks and don't mean anywhere near enough to me to disturb the nems which have been in the same general location for 2yrs. Call me a sadist but I kind of enjoy watching "reef wars" between corals and/or nems. And, yes, pretty much everything loses to nems, though euphyllia give them a run for their money.

The question was sarcastic, there will be casualties. The zoos are at the bottom of the pile of rocks and don't mean anywhere near enough to me to disturb the nems which have been in the same general location for 2yrs. Call me a sadist but I kind of enjoy watching "reef wars" between corals and/or nems. And, yes, pretty much everything loses to nems, though euphyllia give them a run for their money.

I'm surprised a bubble tip stung you in a way you could feel. I have had my skin touching mine many times and they pretty much just feel like a big wet booger to me. I do know that my fish would rather concrete surf than touch one. Though my midas blenny sure likes to live life on the edge as regards the nems, I think he uses them as a cover from the pygmy angels and tangs.

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I do know my hammer keeps my nem at bay. They have touched a few times and it seems the nem shrinks up a bit. In my hammer's defense, it's bigger then the nem and when its open, it's about 5 1/2" (single head) and the thing is just HUGE. but you're right, pretty much everything else loses to the nem.

I too was kind of shocked but the nem zapped me on the back of my forearm, stung like **** and I had welts. I just know now to not stick my hand in the tank near it....lesson learned. It's a GBTA that Im talking here.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Any updates on those zoas?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Well one update, another member pm'd me to let me know those arent nuclear greens. He is correct, and I don't even know why I wrote that. NG's are palys those are zoos, go figure, I guess I should stop drinking so much malt liquor.

The nem got a few pellets this morning so it's contracted a bit and not touching much,. but the top half of the colony is closed still. When the 40 or so polyps of orange bam, bam got nuked it took a fair amount of time for the nem to kill them, they just slowly went away. So it's not instant dead like it would be for an sps. Similarly it takes a nem awhile to kill ricordea florida, but believe me nems can and will kill rics. The rics bothered me a little, these zoos not at all, just an event to be marveled at. The nem hasn't moved it's foot, it just popped out of a different hole in the rock which put it closer to the zoos. That 1/3 of my 180g is just simply for the rbta's at this point, those zoanthids came from my nano and were in the tank awhile before the nems so I just consider them collateral damage.

On another note I'm going to have to let the nem brush on the inside of arm where the skin is tender and see if stings me. I'm curious now. It doesn't sting my hands, I know that.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Lol let me know if it stings your arm. I've never touched a nem personally.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last