[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Where to buy new dslr (and to sell my nikon d50)

Bookmark and Share

Default Where to buy new dslr (and to sell my nikon d50)

Hi guys... Looking In the coming days to buy a new dslr. Thinking of the nikon d5100 or canon t3i... and no decisions yet on lens. Any recommendations on a good location to get a good camera deal?

Also, any idea on where to sell a nikon d50? Anyone here need one?
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

I know some photo students who have sold cameras at Woodward photo, and they were happy with what they got. Although don't bed offended with what they offer, digital cameras dont hold value.

If you are looking for a new camera I'd suggest a canon, their lenses are more affordable.

RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

PJR, If you can get a 60D, I would get the 60D over the T2i or the T3i. The D series are their professional-grade models, where the T-series are the entry-level photographer cameras. Canon also has an adapter that you can run any lens with. I have a Canon, but have had Nikon in the past, and I am glad I made the switch.

You can get into a 60D for $800 or so, and picking up a standard 18-135 lens would serve you well until you really wanted better (and situational) shots.

Nikon makes a great product. I really had a hard time switching away from my D3000, but over-all, the Canon is treating me well.

I have a Canon, an older model and I like it more than I liked my D3000. My next purchase is a 10mm EF 2.8 USM lens. I want stupid close-up coral shots and that's the lens I'll start with.

I have vacillated back and forth between switching to Canon or staying with Nikon. I have really liked my Nikon; build quality is great. You can be stupid and put it into auto mode and take great pics, or do RAW files, manage your settings, and take some decent macro shots as well. Very versatile. The only real loser I saw among these two lines was the T3 (not the T3i), which was a cheap piece of plastic junk. Canon should be ashamed for even offering it at the same price point of the Nikon D3100. No comparison.

Today I ran across a great deal on a Nikon D5100. I will likely pull the trigger.

Anyone need a digital SLR camera? Nikon D50 for $250 with lens and memory card... great deal!
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

The build quality is why I bought a Nikon in the first place. Just mad that after 5 years I still haven't had the spare change to buy a Nikon lens that I actually want