[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

brs bio pellete's and reactor

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Default brs bio pellete's and reactor

I finally had a half hour to do this so here it is. I installed the BRS reactor on the wifes tank today to see how well these work.First I stoped her auto water changes and the carbon gfo to get the No3's up there.I know crazy right?? Only way to find out tho.The reactor is easy to install and the kit comes with evrything except tools and a pump.BRS recomends a mag 3,I have a header installed comeing of a reef octopus hyd 5000 so alittle plumbing and it's ready to go. The reactor is the same as the gfo reactor they sell with the exception of the interior chamber is diffrent then gfo one.It is a nice acrylic chamber with plastic scrrens.They do give you six feet of 1/2 inch line,a union,ball valve and a pump fitting also.The starter kit comes with 500 ml of bio pellete's which is enough for a 75 gal tank.And they send a nice wrench also.

catspictures028 - brs bio pellete's and reactor

So here's the first No3 test to verify the starting point,Ph is @8.3 we'll be watching it to see if there's a drop

catspictures030 - brs bio pellete's and reactor

I added one third of the 500 ml of media provided and in two weeks we'll add another and do another test to see how we're comeing along.The auto water changes and the gfo and carbon are also being turned back on.Over all it's a nice kit for the money and hopefully I don't crash her tank.Here's a pic just incase I do.

DSC01853 - brs bio pellete's and reactor

mrs binford - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - December 2011 TOTM

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    I finally had a half hour to do this so here it is. I installed the BRS reactor on the wifes tank today to see how well these work.First I stoped her auto water changes and the carbon gfo to get the No3's up there.I know crazy right?? Only way to find out tho.The reactor is easy to install and the kit comes with evrything except tools and a pump.BRS recomends a mag 3,I have a header installed comeing of a reef octopus hyd 5000 so alittle plumbing and it's ready to go. The reactor is the same as the gfo reactor they sell with the exception of the interior chamber is diffrent then gfo one.It is a nice acrylic chamber with plastic scrrens.They do give you six feet of 1/2 inch line,a union,ball valve and a pump fitting also.The starter kit comes with 500 ml of bio pellete's which is enough for a 75 gal tank.And they send a nice wrench also.

catspictures028 - brs bio pellete's and reactor

So here's the first No3 test to verify the starting point,Ph is @8.3 we'll be watching it to see if there's a drop

catspictures030 - brs bio pellete's and reactor

I added one third of the 500 ml of media provided and in two weeks we'll add another and do another test to see how we're comeing along.The auto water changes and the gfo and carbon are also being turned back on.Over all it's a nice kit for the money and hopefully I don't crash her tank.Here's a pic just incase I do.

DSC01853 - brs bio pellete's and reactor
    i really hope you don't crash my tank i like how you like to try things with my tank and not yours.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

But honey I bought you a new vortech and ordered you another one also along with your new reactor.Just relax babe it's only a fish tank LOL

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

(biting her nails) Mrs Binford I'm aw gonna remain positive here for you ok.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

buk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

what size tank did this go on? i just got two combo kits today and put off the ozone a bit to see how well these work. only prob i'm having is deciding how much to start with. it's a 125g total volume system and the 350ml that one reactor will hold is suposed to be recommended for a 75 gal.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chuck

Will be following along, been thinking about running pellets

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

it's a 75,the brs single kit is for up to 75 gal.A perfect match !! your right tho it's hard to get a straight answer for how many ml/gal you should use. The most common answer I've found is 5ml/gal. BRS's dosage works out to 4.7/gal. Hope that makes sense

TM01 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Todd
    Awards Tank of the Month Monthly Giveaway Winner

Are you running both GFO and pellets?
    "The price of beauty is never quick or cheap."

buk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

i took down my phosphate reactor and replaced it with the bio pellet reactor. i may set them both up later. i've got a few extras laying around. i ended up dumping a lil less than a cup (about 7 oz) in and crankin it up. have you noticed anything at all yet binford?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

It's my understanding that bio pellet's are for reduction of No2 and No3.I am still running high capacity gfo to reduce and control Po4 and running carbon is alway's a good idea in my book.It's still early to really expect any real results yet. Buk,I spoke to Andy at BRS about the quanity of media per gallon and he confirmed that 5ml/gl is a solid rule of thumb. I am noticeing that keeping the media suspended is very difficult,I even bought a mag 3 as they suggested and am very disapointed with the results.I plan to disassemble it and reassemble it to see whats going on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last