[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Coralvue Power Head! (Impressions)

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    labman - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Coralvue Power Head! (Impressions)

I just Received my new Coralvue power yesterday from Aquacave in the past I have Vortechs so I am had expensive and now inexpensive power heads.

Aqua Cave had these on sale so I order the 3000 gph 24w pump regular price $45 it was on sale 20% off $36 for a 3000 gph power head how could I say no!

1st you need to know this thing is big! Dimensions: 6.5"x4.5" so you need room for them. they are duel shafts they also come with separate nozzle pieces. this is nice as you can adjust the flow in a couple directions. it's Magnet mount and goes though my 3/4 acrylic no issues. something the Vortechs have struggled with from time to time. also these are dead quite again something I can't always say about my vortechs. CoralVue claims 360 degrees rotation. I think that's pushing it but there is allot. the power cord is short maybe 5 or 6' there is no speed control so the pumps are either on or off! personally I wouldn't use these on a wave maker I just don't think they last. the flow over all is VG very gentle but it move a ton of water. maybe better then the vortechs. I am not saying in any way these are better we are comparing $40 vs $400 power heads so even if they burn out in a year still a good deal. I not saying these are for everybody but those on a budget might look at these I would love to compare these to the new Koralia 8 power head
    based on what I have seen I think I am ordering a couple more of these. they come in the fallowing 750GPH 1250 GPH single heads 1500 and 3000 GPH are duel head. Aqua cave still has them on sale not sure how much longer today or tomorrow I think code is HIGHSEAS20 http://www.aquacave.com/SearchResult...CategoryID=752

High20Seas20201 202 - Coralvue Power Head! (Impressions)
    Last edited by labman; 03-06-2010 at 12:00 PM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Does anyone know if any of our sponsors carry these?

labman - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Jim

if not maybe we can talk Aqua Cave into becoming a sponsor I think Aqua Cave and CR would benefit! You know I always prefer to support sponsors as well. I would be happy to try to talk to them on the sites behalf. please pm with the latest sponsor prices and I will try to get Aqua Cave on CR!

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

nice write up I have been seeing these on ebay for a year or 2 now a lot of times cheaper then what you paid

I would like to know what the life span is on them

what is the propeller shaft is it steal ti or ceramic

marc
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

CR Member

thats funky ill just stick to my koralia's they have never let me down
    althoguh they are the first none square power head ive ever used.

CR Member

I've used these for a while now. I have four of the sunsun, which is the same thing, just rebranded. They put out good wide flow. Yes, they are kinda large but they seem to work well. Wattage is 24w on the 3k flow and they are as quiet as the koralia. My only dislike is the cord is 5' so it doesn't reach very far, but for 20bux off ebay how can you complain : ) And they use a ceramic shaft. The stainless steel shaft was gen 1 and some had leaky voltage.

kgood1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kyle

I need to hear more on these.

cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Does anyone know if any of our sponsors carry these?
    I know that kee's has them. I've seen them on the shelves there several times. Good review labman! I have witnessed them in action on a few different tanks and I am impressed given the price you pay for them.

I agree that it's hard to compare these to a vortech being that they're designed differently, however, next to the Koralias I think it's a pretty even match. Having not owned the Coralvue PH's myself I can't make an accurate comparison but as for the koralias I can say that they do move quite a bit of water and it's a fairly wide flow. The nice part is the ability to adjust them directionally. That's just my two cents.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

i have 2 1350gph cheaper ebay ones. they have the double and these are single. mine dont have magnets which i would probably get if/when i do it again but they work well. no noise at all, which is a complaint i hear others talking about with ph's. i will probably use these in various ways when i need them but i am about to put on a closed loop with a 1"scwd along with the return for movement.

CR Member
    First Name
    Brandon

I've tried both, for the money I'd go with coralvue anyday!!!!!

I'm running the big one on my 125 reef!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last