[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

ESV B-Ioni Seawater System

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Default ESV B-Ioni Seawater System

Well, after having issues with RC and reading about the ESV Salt, I bought the 50 gallon kit to check it out. I have had continuous issues with RC. Alk has been inconsistent, I get brown crap that settles to the bottom of the mixing bucket, and it seems to take well over 24 hours to completely mix even when adding the mix slowly at a rate of about 1/2 cup per minute. It seemed like every bag I got mixed differently.

For those who are not familiar, ESV is a 4 part product in which you mix each of the 4 parts with your RODI to make salt water. ESV claims that the water can be used right after mixing if the params and temp is ok to do so. The kit comes with instructions identifying volumes of each component for a given volume of water. Dry components are provided in volume and weight, which is nice for those who wish to be that precise with their measurements. Liquid components are provided in the instructions in cups or ml. Also nice. The kit comes with all required measuring devices however if you choose to measure by weight, the scale is up to you. The instructions are good and mixing is super easy

In anticipation of tomorrow's WC, I mixed a batch this morning to see how it works and test the params. The first observation I had is that this stuff mixes so well that you can't tell a difference in the water if it's sitting next to a buck of pure RODI. It's really that clear. Mixing took all of 10 minutes and produced no smell at all and no settlement of mixing components at the bottom of the bucket. At 75* I got the following params:

• Salinity: 1.025
    • Alk: 9.3
    • Ca: 480
    • Mg: 1440
    • pH: 8.3

All tests were taken with Salifert kits. I was pretty impressed by the way it mixed and the lack of odor. The clarity of the mixed water was also surprising. No cloudiness or anything. I have read that people use this stuff within a few minutes of mixing. I would like to try that some time but did not want to do so with the first batch.

I will continue to post results of my findings as I use this stuff. This is not the most cost effective product in the world and may not be for those with larger volumes unless the wallet can support it. For me and my little cube though, it may be just the right solution. Plus, for those who like to maintain certain levels, this product seems as though it will allow you to mix to a certain parameter by simply adjusting the ingredients and doing some trial and error testing.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Very nice reveiw!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Thanks. I'll keep all posted.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Well, since I first posted this thread, I have made 2 batches of the ESV with the same results in terms of params. I'm very surprised at how clean this product mixes. I think it's pretty impressive.

I did 2 quick WC's due to a minor blue/green cyano outbreak that I'm trying to control. That plus increased mb7 will hopefully assist in fighting the menace.

I have, since this tank has been up, had problems keeping the pH around 8.0-8.1. I was consistently around 7.5-7.7. I have hopes that the ESV will help. I'll keep posting my findings.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Thanks, Chris. It's preaching' to the choir, now. I'm sold.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I think you'll be pleased with the result. While it is a bit more expensive, I really think the results are worth it. It's really nice to be able to simply mix and use the product vs. having to let it "age" before use. I have limited space, so on WC day, I make RODI for the following week WC. The day before WC I heat the RODI so all I need to do is mix, test, and perform the change. I still have some issues with fluctuating pH but I think I just need to re-calibrate the probe and see what the results are.

Keep me posted and let me know how it works for you.

Tags for this Review