[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Ebay Nassarius Snails

Bookmark and Share
    EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Talking Ebay Nassarius Snails

Alright so i was checking out ebay and saw some auctions for some nass snails... and cheap too. Cheap shipping. I have used ebay ALOT and know that when it comes to live things for the aquarium you need to get them over nighted, which is costly.

Checked out the sellers feedback and saw a lot of positive reviews.

So i took the plunge.

paid .99$ for the actual snails with some 14-15$ shipping.

Shipped on Monday the 11th and arrived on Thursday the 14th.

Small box.. lol i wondered how they packed 100 nass snails into a box the size i got.
    Well i found out why, pretty small snails i guess i never knew how small they actually were.

Welp fallowed the instructions that came with them, suppose to rinse them in tap water real quick, than place them in a bucket with some SW to watch for signs of life/death.

Placed in the bucket and within minutes..there was life!!!!!!!!
    Before long most if not all of the snails were moving about in the bucket so i started plucking the moving ones and put them in a seperate container to count them.

bought 100, 100 alive nass snails, with maybe 20 extra incase any die.

so i'd say a very positive experience.

If your interested in the seller i bought them from please PM me and i can let you know.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Forgot to add that these are Onyx Nass snails .

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Do a lot of folks use those snails? I've always been worried that they could be predatory.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Do a lot of folks use those snails? I've always been worried that they could be predatory.
    yup they take the place of a hermit crabs without the pain of them.

They eat fish poop and left over food.

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Just as a side note, some of the really small snails like that go dormant during shipping. I got about 50 from reefcleaners.org, on arrival I had about half that didn't move. It took a full 3-4 days before they all woke up but they all were just fine.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Quote Originally Posted by adalius View Post
    Just as a side note, some of the really small snails like that go dormant during shipping. I got about 50 from reefcleaners.org, on arrival I had about half that didn't move. It took a full 3-4 days before they all woke up but they all were just fine.
    yup the note that comes with them say to watch them close, your suppose to get like 10% extra with your order, and i probably got more than that, there are 6-7 left that haven't really opened up at all so im keeping an eye on them.

im pretty happy with the order, put about 100 of them in my tank, gave maybe 20 of them to a friend, and there are a few still sitting in the bucket.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

I've used the exact same seller before in the past....I think? Did they come just slightly damp in a plastic bag?
    They are nice for about a month or so, very short lived in my experience but definitely help turn and aerate the sand bed. Then they become hermit food and then a new hermit house!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Had mine for.... 3 months now? Still almost all around... one month seems awfully short...