[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

eshopps psk-75 skimmer review

Bookmark and Share
    jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default eshopps psk-75 skimmer review

Well i purchased a eshopps psk-75 in sump skimmer after my coralife skimmer motor wasn't working correctly so i thought i would write a review.

First of all it was super cheap so i was a little leery if it was going to work or not. It cost me $98 shipped to my door through premium aquatics ebay store so i got a in sump skimmer for under $100 which is amazing!

i was pretty much in a bind for an in sump skimmer because my sump i have is only a 10 gallon and i only had a 9.5" x 6" area to work with but this guy is 9" x 4 inches and it fit perfectly in the 10g sump so for those wondering it does fit! it is a lot smaller than the coralife skimmer as well. i can also fit in the 9.5" x 6" area my heater, this skimmer, my drain line from my overflow, my ph probe and my temp probe so that was another worry i had but everything fits perfectly!

The assembly was super easy, the only thing i dont really like is how hard the collection cup is to push in to make the seal and pull out (worried about pushing on it to hard and cracking the bottom pane of glass in my sump) but i can manange. the adjustment on it was also a little hard to do but you just got to take your time and start at a lower fill in the skimmer and slowly dial it up such as move the "flow level" dial around then wait 5 minutes for it to settle before re-adjusting. i got it dialed in in about 30 minutes of trying.

so far the overall performance is amazing! this skimmer has a nice froth coming from it and some super stinky black nog. i am very impressed with it for being under $100 and yes i would recommend it to others with small tanks and a 10 gallons sump! i bought this in sump skimmer because i was afraid that one day if it decided to overflow and i had a hang on skimmer it would dump a few gallons of water in the stand and cause major issues so now if it decides to overflow it goes back into the tank.

I give them a 9 out of 10 on it for the value, easy assembly, functionality. the 1 point was taken off for the minor issues listed above.

here is a picture 48 hours after it has been hooked up. more than half a cup of nog already!

2011 04 10102802 - eshopps psk-75 skimmer review

side note: of all the other reviews i have seen they said to keep it in 8" of water, the instructions say 9"-12" of water. mine is in 9.5" of water just so people know where mine sits.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Nice review!

I have always wondered about these skimmers. They look like they are built properly.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Do they make an HOB one or a smaller intank one?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

Nice review. Not sure how you would do it, but shielding the skimmer from your fuge light would be a good idea. It would Keep algae and coraline from growing inside the skimmer body

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Viva'sReef View Post
    Nice review. Not sure how you would do it, but shielding the skimmer from your fuge light would be a good idea. It would Keep algae and coraline from growing inside the skimmer body
    yeah that is going to be a tough one ive been thinking about it,

and miz they do make a hang on skimmer, it doesnt have as good of reviews as the in sump but i hear it still works well!

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

well it has been one week since i had this skimmer set up and going and tomorrow i will be emptying the third cup of thick black nastyness. this thing is a TANK on my tank, i can already tell it is cleaning up the mess that the superskimmer didn't get.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

just adding onto this again, i have had this skimmer for over a month now and it is still kickin some butt! great froth of foam coming from it for such a small and cheap skimmer i would for sure recommend it to anyone! i got home last night and looked and i had some much froth that it had actually lifted the lid off and move it to the side and it was starting to foam down the side. i emptied the cup last night around 5pm and just checked it about 10 mins ago and already some more killer nog and foam! here is a picture from 10 minutes ago of the cup getting cleaned not even 24 hours before:
    2011 05 14140208 - eshopps psk-75 skimmer review

great little skimmer! i empty the cup 2-3 times per week now full cup and so stinky i can smell it through my stand sometimes!