[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help Find A Thief!!!

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Help Find A Thief!!!

From Dirk (Dirk's Dry Goods)...

If you've been in this hobby for a while, you've probably heard of or run into Dirk. He brings a truckload of equipment to reef-related events throughout the year. Last weekend the night before the swap in Columbus, Ohio his truck and trailer were stolen. He thinks they were after his truck since he found out after the incident it was the second Ford F250 stolen from the same hotel's parking lot in a month. But they made off with his entire inventory as well as his truck.

He's looking for any tips from the saltwater community. If you've run into anyone that seems to have a truckload of dry goods for sale, it may be stolen.

A LOT of this is very unique to Dirk and to the industry. Please keep an eye out for someone selling a ton of new equipment on the forums or Craigslist. Its also possible it could show up on Ebay, Amazon, maintenance firms large or small. He has several unique items that could stand out...see the list below.

Here are a few photo's to show some of the items:

attachmentphp?attachmentid8801&ampd1381960476 - Help Find A Thief!!!

attachmentphp?attachmentid8802&ampd1381960478 - Help Find A Thief!!!

attachmentphp?attachmentid8803&ampd1381960479 - Help Find A Thief!!!

To me things that will stick out
    -The coral/glow sticks...NO one has them in quantities. They are 18" up to 72" long and in green, orange and red.
    -The cubes I store things in are from Target called Itso cubes. They are white and have 2 bolted together. They are 14 1/2", all the way around, obviously 2 of them will be 29" long/high. They stack pretty nice and hold a LOT of stuff. Hydor, Mag, Maxi-jet and other pumps and power heads. There are prices on the upper side of many of the cubes.
    -The drawers that also stack nicely are from Iris, they have not been made in 5-7 years. I checked because I wanted more of them, the company just giggled and said I was a bit late. They are filled with Elos, Radium, Ushio, XM MH se bulbs, test kits, cleaning magnets and lots of parts
    -5' silver truck box
    -2-black Contico boxes approx 34x24x24"Download IMG-20130608-00026.jpg (422.4 KB)
    -Tongs 12" angled with red coated tips, 24" tongs no coating
    -Skimmers from Coralife, Hydor, Aquatic life
    -UV's from Coralife and Tetra and replacement bulbs
    -2/3/4' T5 bulbs, 13/18/24/28/55/66/96w PC bulbs
    -Salifert and SeaChem test kits
    -Leds 6 to 48" long from Marineland, Aquatic Life
    -4' Coralife 4 bulb T5
    -Black plastic tool box filled with Ushio, Phoenix, AB de MH bulbs

This could go on for pages, do what you can to get the word and photos out. Most of this is going to stick out, with who ever might get some or all. Dirk is offering a reward of up to $1000 depending on what is recovered.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 10-16-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

so unfortunate, that was my dads favorite table to visit at the swaps...

dirk i hope you find the guy!

ebushrow - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

I really hope he has insurance....I can only imagine a car thief would unload the contents of the trailer into a dumpster and sell the truck and trailer...this is so sad to happen to anyone...hope they catch the scum bag!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

@dputt88 he's got more stock that he didn't have with him on that trip, so should still be able to make a good showing at our Lansing swap.

@ebushrow , as I understand it the contents were not covered. I don't remember the details of why, I think it had to do with super high rates due to the nature of his mobile business.

ebushrow - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

HI Jim,
    Thanks for the update....That really stinks that the contents weren't covered....I hope he can still keep going with that kind of a loss....its just terrible!

crap... that sux. lousy break for a good guy....

135g reef, 100% Sunbrite LEDs since 2008.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Sucks big time. Always my first stop at the swaps, before I run out of money. It will show up somewhere. He has a lot of odd books so they should be easy to spot.

any truck photos or info to watch for? Mileage?
    trailer details? Craigslist is a popular one.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'm pretty sure @Dirk Griffin recovered his truck. But all the stuff was gone. Haven't heard anything since.