[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

MediaBaskets.com Biocube 29 Media/Fuge Baskets

Bookmark and Share
    adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Thumbs up MediaBaskets.com Biocube 29 Media/Fuge Baskets

So I ordered a fuge basket, media basket, and submersible 10W halogen from Mediabaskets.com.
    I placed my order Sunday night, and had it in my hands Tuesday (turns out they are made about a half hour from me, didn't even know!). They look awesome. The videos online for installing them show an older model with eggcrate, the new models have laser cut shelves and supports made of dark green acrylic that really looks slick.

Here's the stuff after I unpacked it.
    picturephp?albumid167&amppictureid861 - MediaBaskets.com Biocube 29 Media/Fuge Baskets

Here's some close ups of engraved logos they put on them.
    picturephp?albumid167&amppictureid862 - MediaBaskets.com Biocube 29 Media/Fuge Baskets
    picturephp?albumid167&amppictureid863 - MediaBaskets.com Biocube 29 Media/Fuge Baskets

Here's it installed (but I didn't put the clips to hold it in yet):
    picturephp?albumid167&amppictureid864 - MediaBaskets.com Biocube 29 Media/Fuge Baskets

Installation is super simple. Just drop them in and slip on 2 U-shaped clips to hold it in place. It fits a little tight at the lip of the tank but there's more room once it's inside.

Here's after I moved my floss over and put the light down inside.
    picturephp?albumid167&amppictureid865 - MediaBaskets.com Biocube 29 Media/Fuge Baskets

Here's a shot of how much light the fuge lamp throws.
    picturephp?albumid167&amppictureid866 - MediaBaskets.com Biocube 29 Media/Fuge Baskets

And how much out the back:
    picturephp?albumid167&amppictureid867 - MediaBaskets.com Biocube 29 Media/Fuge Baskets

And one more of it lit:
    picturephp?albumid167&amppictureid868 - MediaBaskets.com Biocube 29 Media/Fuge Baskets

All in all, the package cost about $90, and the quality is top notch. I have to get some chaeto to put in it yet, but based on the water height I think it will do just fine.

The only gripe I have is that the manual (not the video instructions) is in a broken link on their website, and they send you two small acrylic pieces to make a water diverter to direct the water in the media basket. They show pictures of how to place them, but they don't tell you anywhere that you'll need WeldOn to mount them. They don't attach them before shipping because they send you two size clips, one for stock BC29s and one for those of us who removed the plastic water diverter to get more flow.

All in all, they get a from me.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I got the same setup for my 8g-only grip I have is the 5w led creates a lot of heat so I can't leave it on 24-7 which is pain having to unplug it all the time-last night was the first time I left it on and this morning I got up only to find the temp in my tank was 85 :-0
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

StevieT - Reefkeeper CR Member

inTank you for your order adalius.

When we have time I will update the videos once again, they take some time to put together. The website was just updated (main page not shop) so a lot of the links were broken and this was done for me for the first time. Meaning I have to figure out how to fix it.. and I am no IT guy. The paper directions were not as good as the vids, there is instruction on the water direction pieces in the BC14 media basket. After that was produced we included the pieces with the BC29.

You do not need weld-on to attach them although that would be ideal. You can just use superglue. We can not preinstall them because every tank is different depending on if you use the fish saver or not, also as you mentioned if you cut the tab or not.

Thanks again, enjoy!
    Last edited by StevieT; 08-31-2010 at 11:04 PM.

StevieT - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I got the same setup for my 8g-only grip I have is the 5w led creates a lot of heat so I can't leave it on 24-7 which is pain having to unplug it all the time-last night was the first time I left it on and this morning I got up only to find the temp in my tank was 85 :-0
    You can put it on a timer to solve that problem. 5-6 gallons of water is pretty low for these lights so in your tank without upgraded fans having it 12hrs on 12 hrs off is the best option

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Yea, Miz. Put it on a timer. If you want to get really snazzy, you can run it opposite of your main lights, the reverse photo period will help keep your pH levels stable overnight.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'murious to see how the algae grows for you. I've been looking at these for awhile for my biocube. Seems like well designed and constructed products.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

They are pretty cool. I saw others doing all this moding to their tanks and being a newb I didn't wanna take the chance of screwing it up. My chaeto grows great!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com