[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New toys - Electronic Thermometers

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default New toys - Electronic Thermometers

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Found these at WallyWorld for $6 or $7 each and figured I've give'm a shot. The 'probe' claims to be water resistant to 10' (I doped up the connector where the wires enter the probe with a dab of silicone just for good measure anyhows).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k88fed8aabb.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k88fed8aabb.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tested them against a few known accurrate thermometers and they were dead on. So I putone on the 180 and the other on my 10g nano.... As you can see the air temp in my office is a little chilly, but the tank is fine.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2kea9ef27c93.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2kea9ef27c93.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Next step should be obvious, as I really don't care what the air temp is, needtohack ononeto see if I can extend the thermistor for the 'inside' temp to measure temps at the top and bottom of the tank, or the difference between the sump/fuge and tank or whatever.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Dave, that is a good idea, as allways. let me know how that goes. that would interesting to see if there is a diff
    fulltankshot 1 - New toys - Electronic Thermometers

First Name
    Dave

I know there is a difference in the big tank with the halides on, a few degrees warmer near the surface, it can actually be felt.... be cool to see the difference with some degree of accuracy .1 degree resolution is pretty good.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Corallife also makes one which is guaranteed saltwater safe I use them on all my tanks dead on accurate and only 7.99 heheh

Uber Geek!
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone
    Corallife also makes one which is guaranteed saltwater safe I use them on all my tanks dead on accurate and only 7.99 heheh
    I know.... but they are only a single temp deal... These caught my eye in passing and immediately screamed to be hacked on which makes them far more fun than any plug and pray deal, that was my whole point.... anything left in it's original 'stock' form just isn't any fun.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Dakar I have a new nick name for you............ THE TINKER GNOME!! You are allways trying to get into mischief by "MODIFYING" a gadget. I love it
    fulltankshot 1 - New toys - Electronic Thermometers

tinker gnome hehe that would be cool to get bottom and top temps hehe

First Name
    Dave

Tinker Gnome.....huh?

I'll have to think about that one for a spell... pretty funny, also fitting, I can't think of anything that I own that hasn't had a screwdriver or some other tools taken to it.

First Name
    Dave

Default It's been hacked

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I went and took the critter apart.... Simple hack.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k763b275538.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k763b275538.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Isolate the lead for the extrenal probe and the thermistor that measures the 'inside' temps#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k9d747009f0.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k9d747009f0.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Desoldered the thermistor and set it aside, shortened the lead to the probe to insert between the board and the termistor.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2kc3f35d97b0.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2kc3f35d97b0.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Soldered the thermistor to the ends of the wire, doped the leads up with silicone, let it cure. (the blue coating is waterproof and shouldn't be completely covered with silicone).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k96790b9283.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k96790b9283.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dropped one in the display and the other in the sump for now next to the heater for now to see a difference in readings... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Presto, now she's a dual water tempmeter #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k58f0711a90.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k58f0711a90.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Courtesty of the Tinker Gnome :p#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last