[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

one big scam

Bookmark and Share
    dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Default one big scam

so yesterday when i came home from work the white lights on my t5 fixture were out ( frag tank). and with me being sick i took the day off and when i got bored i took it apart to see what was wrong. by simple deductive reasoning while checking the t5 i found that it was a ballast of mine that had gone bad. so i removed the bad ballast and went online to find another one using the model number printed on the ballast.

the first site i checked was a site call www.directpowersupply.com and they had the ballast for sale for $20 + shipping. i was relieved that i was going to be able to fix my fixture for a reasonable price.

but first i thought i should call aquatic life first, to see if the will just send me another ballast. i called them and explained to them how i came to find that it was the ballast that was bad, they even said that was a perfect way to determine the problem. then they told me that a new one would be $60+shipping. i said sorry i found it much cheaper somewhere else and we said good bye.

before buying from this other site i did more googling and everywhere else that had them in stock was fish related and wanted at least $50 for one ballast. so i went back to the direct power supply website and looked into them, i was trying to make sure that this site was current and that i wasnt going to be sending my money to a business that is no more. and i found that they were owned my Lifetime products Co. ( you know the guys who make the folding tables and chairs)

so i tried calling them to place my order, but the line remained busy for hours. so i gave in and just paid online. when i sent paypal it told me i had sent money to Lifetime products (customersupport@petstarz.com)
    notice the host name of the email address.. this caught my attention, and i noticed the phone number for the paypal account was different than the one on the website. so i called it....

you wont believe it but the phone number on the paypal account was the customer support line for aquatic life, the people who wanted to charge me $60 + shipping in the beggining.

clearly they are just ripping off hobbyist while sell the same product for 1/3 the price on their other non-aquaria related site.

fyi this direct power supply site has a lot of equipment on there that is used for aquatic life so if your aquatic life fixture stops working you should go to this site.

First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Just got the shipping notification, shipping from aquatic life....

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow very interesting. My ballast went out last year after having it for just over a year and they sent me a new one free of charge.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Coral Frenzy - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    Ken

That stuff is so frustrating.

First Name
    Doug

the darn ballast they sent me doesnt even work!!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

That sucks
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Doug

New ballast shipping today. Funny thing is that the invoice I had was aquatic life so I called them. At first they didnt want to replace it. They said everything is tested before it leaves. I told them this is how ive been troubleshooting and this is the result there is no way that it is not the ballast.

I like this story. I have seen similar things with various pet related products. Take a simple thing and label it turtle or reef and volla....price hike.
    Just out of curiosity. How do you check a ballast? I am going through a box of 30 old lights trying to salvage parts for retro fits. Any good sites I could follow to pair ballasts to light setups?

User Tag List