[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

reef dynamics NoPo reactor--the search is done

Bookmark and Share
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Default reef dynamics NoPo reactor--the search is done

Well here I go again with the search for a good bio pellette reactor.I have been doing allot of research and listening allot to other reefers of how to use nopo and the good and the ugly results they had with them.I started this search with the very cheaply priced BRS reactor.Not the best experience for me,swaped a doaser for a JNS alpha one for the wifes tank.Works good for what it is.I have went and looked at others like reef octopus reactors and on and on and on.In looking at all these reactors and chewing the cud about what they liked and what they didn't like I consistently heard you got to add the pelletes slow !!! or you'll strip your water column.Then of course they then explained how they had to adjust their amounts to maintain the levels they wanted to keep the media suspended and keep the No3 and Po4 at near 0 levels without nukeing the tank.I am sad to report some of the most experienced reefers I know have acomplished just that buy either rushing the processes or haveing to much pelletes to maintain the levels they wanted to maintain.Once these pellete's get going they're tuff to control.In all these discussions It kept running thru my brain that there's a common design flaw with these reactors to make such a simple idea a difficult thing to introduce.I then saw a video on LA fishguy's( luv this site,tons of info and fun to just watch) and saw reef dynamics NoPo video and the light went on then exploded by how simple a solution in my opinon and simple mind this reactor is !! Reef Dynamics is now makeing a reverse flow closed loop NoPo reactor that works on the same principal of the calcium reactor.In several phone discussions with Jeff (the owner of Dynamics) It became clear to me that this was the answer in my mind.The output level does not effect media suspension!!! You can give it full throttle or shut it right down and the media stay's the same.This means to me that you can adjust the bacterial effect by controling the output only.No need to add or remove the pellete's tell they are consumed.No3 still high open the valve more and test,dropping to fast close the valve and slow the processes down.We'll ,after five weeks of back order the ups guy dropped off both the reactors today.I will post pictures and follow up on this with results.I understand this an expensive unit and not everyone will spend this much on equipment.But once someone get's it right it always bleeds down thru the lower price units.Just look at the introduction of bubble plates and cones.Now evryone has em!!! I haven't been this geeked about something since I got my AI LED's or my bubble king skimmer !!!!! Is it x mas ??? LOL
    Last edited by binford4000; 04-10-2012 at 03:29 PM.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Default got em put together

Ok,got home from work this am and put em together.Very well built and to my surprise they are acrylic welded construction.All fittings are heavy duty and and they fit together perfectly.It actually took longer to unpack the units from all the bubble wrap then it did to put theme together.So far very impressed!! I had to glue the inlet filter screen houseings because these will be external units.No need to glue if you put em the sump.Both units come with high efficant Emhiem pumps and good valves for control of the media and the output on top of the units.The tops are quick lock lids and they come with tees to ensure connection to your skimmer and plenty of tube for the inlet and discharge.We ordered Reef Dynamics pellettes also with these units.To my surprise in five minuates of soaking there we're no floaters unlike other brands we have used.The larger unit is the 250 and the smaller is the 135.I will post pics of the media action once the glue dry's and I get it up an running.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Very interesting - Following along.

I agree that separating the tumbling flow from the effluent feed rates makes perfect sense, CadLights has a similar solution using a 3-way valve...

[ame="http://vimeo.com/39556456"]CAD lights Conic Bioreactor on Vimeo[/ame]
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 04-10-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
    Very interesting - Following along.

I agree that separating the tumbling flow from the effluent feed rates makes perfect sense, CadLights has done the same through the use of a 3-way valve...CAD Lights CONIC Bio-reactor — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
    those are pretty sweet too !! I really like the idea of controling the reduction by way of a mechanical means.We used a jns on the wifes sytem but you can only slow the vortex spinning slightly it discharges the same effluant volume so you are stuck reduecing the pellete volume to control the speed of the reduction IMO.Not the best control method in my book

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Default up and running !!!

well took about ten minuates to get it filled and installed.Wish all new toy's set up as easily as this thing did.I have the closedloop valve at about half open and them pelletes are doing the wave.To my surprise there is no floaters (pellet's)Now for the hard part,not nukeing the tank !!!

I plan to post No3 start to finish results for anyone who might be following this lol atleast I will have a record of them
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by binford4000; 04-10-2012 at 06:19 PM.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Default no 3 results

ok took the No3's and it's not pretty but the facts are the facts.I took the sulfur nitrate reactor off line when I ordered the NoPo reactor five weeks ago so it ain't pretty. so here we go !!

4/10 100ppm
    4/11 100ppm
    4/12 100ppm
    4/13 80ppm maybee somethings starting to go??? prob the test kit lol ph has droped tho
    4/14. 80ppm. Tested with two diffrent kits. At least it's going down. Lol
    4/15. 80ppm
    4/16 80ppm The Ph has returned to it"s normal 8.3 level. ok let's see what happens should be kickin in ??
    4/17 80ppm
    4/18 80ppm still
    4/19. 80ppm
    4/20. 80ppm
    4/21. 80ppm
    4/22. 70ppm
    4/28. Still at 70 ppm. Nice and slow ?? Man more like a crawl !! Just the way I like it. Lol
    Last edited by binford4000; 04-30-2012 at 02:52 AM.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Default Ph has dropped

Well the ph has dropped to 8.16 and to say the least I am getting a little nervous. I have read some more and several threads say this is a sign of the bacteria kicking in. This seems a little fast so I am going to turn the output down in half and try to slooooow this down.I want a reduction for sure but it needs to be slow regardless how high the No3's have been allowed to rise. This is my input but would really appreciate some from fellow reefers. Tx.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Default Ph update

Ok so the ph went pretty low so I freaked out slightly and closed the output valve by 50 %.At 3am I started to think of a reascue plan if it dropped any lower.Well I can now say don't close the valve !!!!!!!!! Your Ph will jump from 8.16 to 8.41 faster then ya can fart.I reopened the valve at that time and watched it drop to the 8.16 where it pretty muched stayed tell last night when it very slowly raised to it's normal level.No damage to coral luckly and I now will just keep testing and wait for the drop before touching that valve again.Jeff at reefdynamics said this is normal and I should expect to see levels drop consitantly after seven to ten days.We are offically at day seven.I will post pictures of Mrs Binfords 135 when I can.The 135 is inteded for systems upto 135 gals in hence the flashy name lol.It does an excelant job of tumbleing the media.I would dare say better then the 250.No wave action just consitant even dispalcement.So far pretty impressed with these units.Still not a single pellet floater.At worst I recomend the pellet's for sure but am confident of the reactors too.

jduck - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

Any updates on how these are working?
    240 gal. Miracles, 3x 1.5" Beananimal overflow, 60 gal. Frag tank, 120 gal sump. Skimmer: SRO XT5000 EXT, Return Pump: Reeflow Hammerhead Gold Hybrid. Reef Dynamic Biopellet reactor, GEO 6x12 Ca reactor. Lights: 9x AI Sol Blue. Controller: Apex, 40 gal QT

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Wow forgot I did this post. The reactors work as advertised. I had to add 2 more cups then they suggested to bring them down. I am still up in the air if I will start the new system with the reactor or not ?