[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

Default REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

HowdyHo!

Today I get to share with you my experience with AVAST Marine's Porthole XL!
    http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/pr...wn-Porthole-XL

Shipping was quick to the point that I didn't realize what my maillady was bringing up to my door at first!
    To my pleasure it was my Porthole packaged safe and sound.
    20110118porthole8435 - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

Unboxing.
    20110118porthole8445 - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

Right off the bat I noticed the checkering on the tube which helps with any extra bit of grip you can grab on your camera. The last thing you want is to find out your nice DSLR is not waterproof.

20110118porthole8450 - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

20110118porthole8460 - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

I would recommend laying the camera on its back side so you may look at the lens from above so when you are tightening the tension screws you can maintain your lens being aimed straight thru the porthole and not tilted. I also found it easy to do while it was on a tripod with the lens aiming at your face.

20110118portholetop - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

I attached the porthole to my lens's zoom ring which gave me an excellent coverage on the lens for protection and enough room for my fingers to grab the grip.
    (The Lens in these photos is a Nikkor 24-70mm)

20110118portholegrip - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

20110118portholegrab - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

20110118portholemounted - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

You can see the notches built into the end of the porthole which allow trapped air to escape that would normally cause you issues. I didn't even think about it as I never had any trapped air. Thanks to the design the air was able to escape on its own during normal usage.

So why should you buy this??
    The biggest problem with aquarium photography is REFRACTION! super pain to deal with as the shot you always want to try to get is likely at an angle which then distorts your photo. The only way to get a clear shot thru the tank is for the camera to be straight on at your target. By using the porthole you are then able to shoot straight thru the porthole at any angle because the porthole moves with your lens thru the water above the tank.

Tips and Tricks
    Dont crank down the screws too tight. It stays on really well and its not like you need it to support a building.
    Rinse it with RO on the outside after using it so salt doesn't dry onto the lens of the porthole.
    If you get a small styro box you can store it in there to keep it safe.

How Satisfied Am I?

Check the photos below for an answer...

20110120tubbsblue3wbclo - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

20110120tubbsblue3wb - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

20110118porthole8601 - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

20110118porthole8565 - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

2011 01 27 scolyfed - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

Photos of Sullyman's Tank with the Porthole

2011 02 05 GermanBlue - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

2011 02 05 GermanBlueCLOSE - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

768 stack - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

768 stackclose - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

246 stack - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole
    246 stack close - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

295 Stack - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole
    295 Closeup - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

439 stackfar - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole
    439 stack close - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole
    439 stack closercrop - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole
    rc FiReBReTHa sig - REVIEW: AVAST Marine XL Porthole

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Great review (and photos) FiReBReTHa!

I'm currently using one of Melev's acrylic camera boxes - This appears to be a better solution, especially when shooting smaller tanks. A couple of questions,

Are you able to focus manually? I'm hoping that the attachment screws rest on the focus ring.

It's tough to tell how much space is left between the end of the lens at full extension and the acrylic. Would it support a slightly longer lens (i.e D7000 with a 18-200)

This coupled with Live View will make top-down macro much easier - Thanks again for a great review.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Can't get over that picture-WOW! I was gonna ask, what the heck is a port hole
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
    Great review (and photos) FiReBReTHa!

I'm currently using one of Melev's acrylic camera boxes - This appears to be a better solution, especially when shooting smaller tanks. A couple of questions,

Are you able to focus manually? I'm hoping that the attachment screws rest on the focus ring.

It's tough to tell how much space is left between the end of the lens at full extension and the acrylic. Would it support a slightly longer lens (i.e D7000 with a 18-200)

This coupled with Live View will make top-down macro much easier - Thanks again for a great review.

He does some awesome stuff but I never picked up his box because I didnt like how it was square making it bulkier to rotate and it could get caught up in some angles closer to the glass when in a tight spot.

I actually haven't thought about manual focus, when I use live view I hit the AF button with the highest contrast point of my target and that takes care of my focus. If you wanted to land the screws on the focus ring you would have to just pull the lens out of the porthole or perhaps consider the shorter porthole.
    The nikon 24-70 is 3.3x5.2" and the 18-200 is (Approx.)3.0x3.8 in. (Diameter x Length) from the nikon page so it will def fit in there. I still have room for a longer lens in there!

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

We were considering these for a while but read some not so good reviews. My greatest worry would be that the screws would really scratch up your very expensive lens. Are the ends of the screws protected?

Also, are the screw sealed or do you have to be careful to not put it in the water up to the screws so that water doesn't leak in?

CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud161616 View Post
    We were considering these for a while but read some not so good reviews. My greatest worry would be that the screws would really scratch up your very expensive lens. Are the ends of the screws protected?

Also, are the screw sealed or do you have to be careful to not put it in the water up to the screws so that water doesn't leak in?
    Eh, I have it compressing the rubber zoom ring so it puts some light indentions on it. Eventually I may see about putting something on the end of it. At first I was not thrilled because im goofy crazy, but those small 1mm indentions aren't worth a whine when yielding this level of photos. Mounted anywhere on the lens it should not be doing Anything to it. Lens's are designed to be hands on and handle some serious usage and scratch potential from handling, not soft nylon screws.

The screws are just a tight matched threading. I have had it submerged for 15 min+ on a tripod without a thought. When you get that low tho put your pinky on the lip of the porthole as your wet sensor, if your pinky gets wet, PULL UP! LOL

Tags for this Review