[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Stealth heater JUNK!!

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    reefpoor - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

I had one go bad a few years ago. Didn't know it was leaking voltage until one day I had one hand in my tank and one in the sump at the same time. There is a ground rod in the sump, so the voltage went up one arm and down the other to the ground rod. Zowiee, checked it with a meter found 56 volts leaking. No more metal or glass heaters for me

brandeewyne - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    brandee

he did a 40 gal WC after it happened .. i'm just unsure if that's enough, depending on what may have contaminated the system. the only problem i've experienced is them frying on me, never have had to deal with one completely coming apart like that.

softies, LPS, SPS, clams .. all closed up and ticked off as of this morning yet. how absolutely sickening to think of losing the entire tank over a heater malfunction .. grrr!

softiegirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sue
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I feel ya with this problem!!!! mine blew a hole in the side of it last week and almost caught on fire, thank god we were home!!! p.o.s.!!!! it was less than six months old. I hate all heaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

All this talk scares me....maybe time to order and Jager.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

A jager on an rkl inspires confidence, hold a stealth in one hand and jager in the other and you will really notice the diff.

brandeewyne - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    brandee

the ebos are on order .. i'm changing every last heater out.

reefwonders - Reefkeeper CR Member

That's funny all the EBO's I've owned were junk and I've had at least 10 of them. I do run a stealth right now and haven't had a problem. I guess it's like cars, you can find someone that has a problem with any car.

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

I too have had plenty of ebo jagers fail on me as well.
    I haven't found a perfect heater yet. It seems my personal best luck are Marineland.

It does help to run two smaller heaters instead of one large heater, so if one fails in the ON position it wont cook the tank.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by brandeewyne View Post
    i've had a terrible run of luck with the stealths also, in my own tanks as well as my fathers.

just last night i stopped by his house and he told me of the latest failure .. he heard some popping noises and finally pinpointed it to the tank, when he pulled the heater out of the sump the entire top portion came right off. every coral in his 135 is closed up. hopefully no permanent damage but only time will tell on that one.

does anyone know about the internal workings of these heaters? beyond the electrical issue should he be concerned with any type of chemical leaching into the water with all that being exposed?
    As far as I know if he is running a skimmer he should be fine. There is an oil (mineral) in the heaters but its such a small amount that the skimmer should take care of it. Copper windings in there too, but that really shouldnt cause an issue. A very very small amount possibly could get released I wouldnt worry skimmer on full and run some carbon should be good. More damage from the electricty then either of those.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

brandeewyne - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    brandee

i know this is totally off-topic .. but is that a Helfrich's firefish in your av?

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last