[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

gauging interest in a metro Detroit reef club

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Having been on the board of a reef club for several years, it is always a struggle to get active members and participation. I think almost everyone involved in a club would agree. Joining an existing club, has the advantages of already having their legal/tax stuff figured out, as well as the initial fundraising under their belts. A few years back, there was a group in Macomb I believe that formed a MASM subchapter...the idea seemed to make a lot of sense at the time.

MASM has been on the forums trying to find people interested in hosting meetings, etc. It may be worthwhile to explore whether some of their meetings could be in your neck of the woods.
    Likes CableGuy liked this post

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Having been on the board of a reef club for several years, it is always a struggle to get active members and participation. I think almost everyone involved in a club would agree. Joining an existing club, has the advantages of already having their legal/tax stuff figured out, as well as the initial fundraising under their belts. A few years back, there was a group in Macomb I believe that formed a MASM subchapter...the idea seemed to make a lot of sense at the time.

MASM has been on the forums trying to find people interested in hosting meetings, etc. It may be worthwhile to explore whether some of their meetings could be in your neck of the woods.
    i will look in to it but to be honest was trying to stay away from that very thing this was just going to be people meeting up ea month to shoot the bull and look at ea others tanks and setups no dues our money involved
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

One of the biggest problems I think is defining what it is that everyone wants out of the club.

If I were you, I would have a monthly meeting at the bar next to Reef Solutions. That has to be one of the better LFS arrangements!

First Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    One of the biggest problems I think is defining what it is that everyone wants out of the club.

If I were you, I would have a monthly meeting at the bar next to Reef Solutions. That has to be one of the better LFS arrangements!
    there closed for remodeling have been for a bit not sure if there re opening
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin

fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

MASM has, and is willing to, host events all around the Metro area. Besides the events we host at Cranbrook we've also done home tank tours, A&M, Preuss and Trop tours... We're always looking for new meeting ideas and locations. Contact any MASM BOD member if you have questions or ideas.
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com

First Name
    Bill

has this became a MASM forum not going in to great detail but i relay have no interest in joining them ty
    Steve Irwin

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Fair enough... I was just curious.

fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    has this became a MASM forum not going in to great detail but i relay have no interest in joining them ty
    Nope, I was just making an offer.
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com

jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

Bill from what I've heard, fat catz bar is not going to re-open.

That said I'd be interested in joining as well, though don't count on me being to active of a member, family, friends, & work schedules make free time disappear fast.

But for what it's worth I think a local club would be great.

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

You don't have to join MASM or pay for a membership for them to host an event. They will organize everything and people just show up at a bar or someone's house as mentioned.

i will look in to it but to be honest was trying to stay away from that very thing this was just going to be people meeting up ea month to shoot the bull and look at ea others tanks and setups no dues our money involved
    You don't have to join MASM (pay dues) in order to have them host an event, and you don't have to be a paying member either. Anyone can come to a house meet/swap. If there is a rental hall or large event, then there is a ticket price for everyone. (Members, non-member or someone off of the street)

An example of this is the MBI workshop. We are both part of the MBI, and we both had to pay for entrance to Cranbrook for the MBI workshop if we went but there is no fee associated with being a member on MBI or would you need to be a paying member to come to the workshop - anyone can go to the workshop, though they will need to pay the ticket price to get in.

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last