[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Name change vote-

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Name change vote-

We have had a couple ideas braught up as far as a better name for the group. Would like to get some input on this.

Ann Arbor Area Reef Club- AARC
    Ann Arbor Area Reef Club- A2RC
    Ann Arbor Area Reef Club- A2ARC
    Ann Arbor Area Reef Club- AAARC
    Ann Arbor Area Marine Aquarists- A2MA

I am leaning to- Ann Arbor Marine Aquarists- A2MA (thx clamseasquest) as it includes the FOWLR guys, and broadens the club, and I like the look.

I came up AARC initially, but am very flexible- and if there is a change, I would like to see it happen soon, before we get established as AARC.

Lets hear some opinions, or even other ideas!

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

AAH RAM!

ann arbor hobbiest reef and marine!

CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I like the A2MA personally, for the same resons. Would be great to include more hobbyists.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Anymore thought to Huron Valley Reef Club (or something along those lines....Huron Valley Marine Aquarists)?

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

AAARC or AAAAC-
    Annarbor area reefclub or aquarium club. Aquarium club would be a little more inclusive of fresh water. Plus alphabetical listing would be one of the first. We definately should be ann arbor area AAA the rest not a big deal and i am flexible. It definately should be AnnArborArea. I dont want it to be just AnnArbor. My feeling when chris and I talked about this over a year ago was I want to stress that anyone can come and I think that If it was just AA would sound a little exclusive. Actually just usong the AA as a geogiaphical landmark.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Broadening the geographical area was my thought "Huron Valley"...it encompasses a wide area...north to brighten, west to Jackson, and east to lake Erie.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

LMAS=Lower Michigan Aquarium Society?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

I prefer Ann Arbor Area Marine Aquarists- (A2AMA, AAAMA, A3MA.) Here are my thoughts,

I've never cared for being referred to as a "reefer", or our work product simply being referred to as an aquarium or "fish tank". Certainly no slight is intended toward freshwater or FOWLR folks, as the vast majority of us started there, eventually ending up with full-blown reefs.

In my mind, there is much more to planning/building and maintaining a successful reef tank than is typically inferred by the term reefer or fish tank. We combine multiple disciplines of engineering including electrical, mechanical, chemical, computer and networking - in addition to physics, fluid dynamics, biology...the list goes on.

Many of us spend considerable amounts of time, energy (and money) learning all that we can, often playing a roll in developing new procedures, products and best practices (i.e. look at the advancements made in the field of LED lighting - the vast majority of which were accomplished by hobbyists - not commercial providers.) We then take what we have learned and mentor those new to the hobby (obsession) along the way.

Paulo makes a valid point about the term Marine potentially excluding freshwater hobbyists. If that was a concern, you could always drop "Marine" and use Ann Arbor Area Aquarists (AAAA lands you a top spot in a phone book listing - not that I think it matters anymore.) I beleive Marine should be included in the name as it more accurately describes the vast majority of the expected content and interests of the participants.

That said, I consider myself a Marine Aquarist who happens to live in the Ann Arbor Area - hence my vote
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 10-28-2010 at 07:01 AM.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i actually like it just how we have it everywhere now. no abbreviation just simply A2 reef club

Coral Frenzy - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    Ken

SEMAS - Southeast Michigan Aquarium Society

If you Google Southeast Michigan you will see maps that layout the areas that you are talking about.

There are a lot of clubs/societies that use SEM....Football, Tennis, Porsche, mustang owners club, etc.

Good luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last