[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

What type of fish is in the middle of CaptiveReefs (top left corner of page...hint it is the main character in Finding Nemo) )

Uncle Mike

Bookmark and Share
    ReefSolutions - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    shannon
    Awards MBI Participant

Default Uncle Mike

Many of you may remember a gentleman that was in the store all time, every Tuesday and Thursday, and every other weekend, grey hair, glasses, always talking about his favorite fish the puffers and the naso tangs, and his RC trucks. That was my Uncle Mike, not a real uncle but my dads best friend since they were young. Everyone that was family or friends of the family called him Uncle Mike.
    Mid-December Mike started to feel ill but chalked it up to stress and an old ulcer coming back. By Christmas he was still feeling pretty bad. About mid-January he still wasn't feeling any better and was actually feeling worse. He went to the hospital to checked out and see if they could find what was wrong.
    Last Tuesday, the 24th I got a visit from my mom and dad after I had gotten home from work.
    "Uncle Mike has cancer" my mom told me. I was baffled.
    "What kind?" knowing some are fatal and some are treatable or removable.
    "Lung cancer" my mom replied. I was thinking he was going in for treatments and radiation therapy and I was all willing to help him out through this. He's been part of my family since before i was born and I remember him always being over and playing with me. " It has spread to his liver, kidneys, and his lymph nodes"
    I was devistated! I know once it's in your lymph nodes your on your death bed. then my mom said " He's not expected to make throught the night" the life was sucked out of me, but I held my composure until my parents left, I did not want to upset my father more than what he already was.
    I wanted to go visit him at the hospital but my mom said not to because he was under so much medication he wouldn't be able to acknowlege if I was there or not.
    Wednesday I got a text that Uncle Mike is now in a coma. His body was fighting a losing battle and starting to shut down.
    Thursday the 26th While getting ready for work I got a phone call from Jeff. Uncle Mike didn't make it through the night. It was very difficult to get through that day knowing that he will never be back up there to bug me or to talk about his RC trucks and his truck only needs a new battery and should be working great or complaining that Chris and Jon didn't clean any of their tanks out this week. He won't be there anymore to go with me on those trips out to Lansing to A&M to pick out fish and coral, he never got to a frag swap, I never got tell him that my WIld caught Onyx clowns are breeding, and my picasos are fianlly getting along, never got show him my new breeder set up, or never will be able to share those funny moments of what my son Aiden does throughout the day with him. It is going to be really hard.
    Please pray for Mikes family, HIs brother is in town but is leaving Tomorrow. His mom, whom he lived with to take care of her through her breast cancer treatments and recovery, will be learning to live on her own for a while. Also pray for my family as well. help all of get through these tough times ahead, and to remember the fun times and not what we will be missing.
    Please get your yearly exams done at your doctors offices. You never know that you may hve something that could be life threatening untill it's too late.

You will be greatly missed but lots of people Uncle Mike. Love you
    Your little Boo Bear.

Shanny

2. Visit Reef Solution's website
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

It crazy how quickly "things" can happen. Sorry for your loss.

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

we will miss him greatly just wish we got to spend more time with him in the last few months of his life we will never for get him. he was a good friend to me and my little girl

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

henry hill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Sorry for your loss Shannon.

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

Wow...Mike was always so helpful...

Reeftanker - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    David

Great guy, good friend to both myself and my two boys. He always took the time to ask about them.

Never did make it over to see my new tank - amazing how short life can be.

RIP Mike

CR Member
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards March Madness Award - 2012 March Madness Winner

I remember Mike well from your store - I'm so sorry for your loss.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'm so sorry for your loss Shanny. My prayers go out to you and to all of those who knew and loved him. This brings to mind the loss of my sister. I know and feel your pain...((HUGS))
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sorry for your loss.

I, too, am dealing with the potential, and most likely inevitable, loss of a family member- stage 3 cancer of the lungs......a hole that cant be closed and already caused a heart attack. My Grandfather.

You and your family are now in my thoughts and prayers.

CR Member
    First Name
    mike

Default so sorry for your loss

sorry to hear about Uncle Mike! hope everything is getting better for you after your loss.