[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Things to do at a Reef Club Meeting?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Things to do at a Reef Club Meeting?

Hopefully in January, Greg97527 and I will be working with the LFS to start up a reef club. I was just hoping to get some input from folks who regular attend reef club meeting on what kind things are typcially done at the meeting. Do you pay dues? Is it structured? Minutes and Agendas? Speakers? Food? I am just trying to gather ideas at this point. Any information or thoughts would be welcome.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Shad, great questions, I am tagging along with this thread. I am in the process of the exact same thing where I live. thanks for posting this.
    fulltankshot 1 - Things to do at a Reef Club Meeting?

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

^^^DITTO^^^^
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I have been thinking about this for a long time. there are actually quite a few reefers in the general vicinity I live in. I was also thinking it would be a FANTASTIC recruiting tool for new CR members!!!!
    fulltankshot 1 - Things to do at a Reef Club Meeting?

I belong to two different clubs. One I have paid dues for, and the other is free. They both have web sites with forums. One seems to have their meetings in public places (LFSs, office building conference rooms, etc.), while the other conducts most (but not all) meetings in members' homes. Food is usually provided, but is often very simple (ex. a morning meeting might have donuts and juice). The "paid" club has a rather structured heirarchy (elections for board members), while the other is loosely structured. The paid club also has fairly structured meetings featuring more speakers and demonstrations.

Here's the kicker - the club that requires a paid membership has a much larger member base than the other. At first you might think that more people would be attracted to #1 - free and #2 more relaxed atmosphere, but it seems the opposite is true, at least with these two clubs! HTH...

Thanks for the reply. I went to a couple local reef club meeting that pretty much just get togethers at people house. No one was really the leader so thing really never got accomplished. I am trying to get something started that has little more drive behind it.

I am curious what the dues are and what they are used for.

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

I happen to belong to the Boston Reefers Society. They are an amazing club and one of the larger in the US. We do have dues, regularly scheduled meetings, guest speakers, bylaws etc. You can find most of the "organizational information at their website: www.bostonreefers.org.

Some info for you:

Our Mission Statement: Boston Reefers Society is committed to promoting interest in and enjoyment of all aspects of the marine aquarium hobby by educating the public on topics related to the biology, physiology, and chemistry of reef biotopes through the sponsorship of meetings, lectures, publications, websites, competitions, exhibits and other means. Providing a forum for sharing resources and information among local aquarium enthusiasts. Supporting research, education and conservation efforts aimed at improving marine and coral reef environments. Involving and educating young people about aquatic life and the aquarium hobby. Fostering camaraderie, friendship, and appreciation of aquatic life.
    ~~~~~~
    Membership Information: (Dues pay for meeting locations, air fare, hotel, travel expenses for guest speakers, etc.):

As a friend of the BRS, you will receive all public announcements and invitations to upcomming BRS meetings, guest speaker lectures and other special events. However, in order to obtain the full benefits and priveleges of membership, you will need to pay the annual dues to the Society.

Current rates for 2006 are: $20 for individuals and $25 for families.

Membership benefits are expanding but for now, it entitles you to:
    1) Voting rights for BRS officers.
    2) Discounts with our many of our Sponsors

To become a full fledged card carrying member of the BRS -- or renew your membership -- you just need to have an account on our forum system and then pay the membership fee as directed at the top of the page.
    ~~~~~
    Most of the New England LFS give somewhere around 10% discount to BRS members. (DP)
    ~~~~~
    We have an incredibly solid group of people (you have to when you are hosting MACNA etc.) that has stood against a lot of pressure over the last few years. We are really close knit (I could have a dozen people at my home if I cried for "help") and have regular meetings.

During the meetings, we have great speakers (Tyree, Randy Holmes-Farley, Sanjay Joshi, Shimek, Borneman etc.) Yes, we have great speakers because we are a) large and b) use our finances wisely.

We also have an annual auction. This last year (120 attendees), we raised 11-12K in net and over 5K in profit. This is how we get speakers

We have regular meetings for activities such as frag workshops, fish-goo parties, and during the Summer...a non-business, clambake party, Board Elections etc.

If not for BRS, I'd still be raising cichlids

Dave
    ><((((

Thanks Dave. That is great information. That is awesome you have such a great resource.

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

It is a great resource. It's not that old a club either. It is just power packed with great people. It doesn't hurt that Randy Holmes-Farley, Greg Hiller, and some other well known hobbyists are members.

Dave
    ><((((

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I belong to the WMAS... the LARGEST(I believe)!!! We are very similar to Dave's and have been established since 1995. Yes, NEVER forget the treats!!!

Look at www.utahreefs.com for another idea.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last