[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Lansing Frag Swap

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    that Reef Guy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Steve
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Smile Lansing Frag Swap

Hi, this is my first post on the forum.

I had a blast at the Lansing Frag Swap which was my first swap.

I even won the RO/DI machine in the Raffle.

I bought a bunch of zoanthids and an acan.

But they do not look anything like they did when I bought them.

They were much Brighter and Colorful.

So my question is what kind of lights were the dealers using?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

First you need to know what was bought from what vendor then ask for each of them vendors to respond for the lighting used. No 1 answer to give what lights are you using for your set up and placement and water parameters. All affect them and their colors and leds make a ton of diffrence.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

A lot of vendors had LEDs, many also had t5's. As Steve mentioned if you can remember where you got them, I might be able to help. Glad you had fun at the swap. And welcome to CR!

korndiddy20 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

what lighting do you have? most use a bluer light to make the colors pop. if you are more on the white side then the colors wont look as bright.

CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - July 2012 Tank of the Month

This is the exact reason I ask to see things under normal lights before I buy. Most put them under huge amounts of actinic light so they look out of this world and then ur more likely to buy. Take it home to your more normal light and disappointment ensues. Sorta similar to why jewelers use certain lights to make diamonds sparkle.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

First Name
    Steve

Smile

Wow. I cannot believe I recieved so many posts by so many different people in so quickly.

With the other Forum I go to (One of the biggest on the internet) I might recieve 1 post and it might take forever and they have alot more people on the site. Alot of times I get no replies from them.

I think that they just do not like me because I am new to saltwater.

I had a feeling fellow Michiganders would be much more helpful

I love this site. Thanks so much guys.

One of the posters asked me what lighting I had. I have a 55 Gallon Tank with a Marineland T5HO 4 Bulb System that produces 216 Watts (4 Watts a Gallon) 2 White / 2 Blue.

The only Dealer I can recall is Cherry Corals where I got my Red Acan Frag and a Blue Zooanthid (The blue Zooanthid looks the same in my Tank as when I bought it).

Also, I got a Frag with just a Few Ultra Neon Orange Zoanthids from the dealer right next to him. But now they look like a light orange (That is the Coral I got that looks the least like it did when I bought it). It was at the end of the show and he had mostly zooanthids and was selling them half off.

Were any dealers using Metal Halides?

Last Question.

There was a dealer at the far right of the show selling only Aussie Doughnut Scolys. I had never seen or heard of theose Corals before. They are amazing with all their neon stripes and psychodelic tie-dyed colors. Does anyone know who that was or if they have a Web Site.

OK, enough of the Rambling. Thank you so much guys. So much more helpful than all the other Forums (It's the Fellow Mighigan Kindness to newer Reefers).

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by gablett View Post
    This is the exact reason I ask to see things under normal lights before I buy. Most put them under huge amounts of actinic light so they look out of this world and then ur more likely to buy. Take it home to your more normal light and disappointment ensues. Sorta similar to why jewelers use certain lights to make diamonds sparkle.
    What is "normal light"?

Quote Originally Posted by that Reef Guy
    There was a dealer at the far right of the show selling only Aussie Doughnut Scolys. I had never seen or heard of theose Corals before. They are amazing with all their neon stripes and psychodelic tie-dyed colors. Does anyone know who that was or if they have a Web Site.
    This might help:
    2011 swap - Lansing Frag Swap
    Last edited by jimsflies; 02-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.

korndiddy20 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

if you want your corals to pop a little more then you could go 3 blue and 1 white. its all personal prefrence, some poeple dont like the blue look and some dont like there tank to white. its all about getting the combo that makes YOU happy. lifes likes a reef, dig it!!!

CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - July 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    What is "normal light"?

This might help:
    2011 swap - Lansing Frag Swap
    I don't know your definition of normal light but mine is not 100% royal blue leds. Come on man people don't do it because blue leds are cheaper. Don't play that game.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

First Name
    Steve

I want to say the Aussie Donut Scoly Dealer was #22 but I could be wrong.

Does anybody know that dealer? I believe that was the only Coral they were selling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last