[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

acans and elagance

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Default acans and elagance

I have a 210 reef tank and it's been going great, but I have a little concern. My acans have been closed for almost two weeks. I do see there feelers at night a little bit but not much. They are normally open all the way during the day and look great. Because of that I've been doing water changes and testing my water more then I normally do. In the last week I've done three water changes. Yesterday my elegance was all closed up. Which makes me a little more concerned. All my other corals look fine, and the fish are fine. The only thing that has changed is my lighting, but my acans where acting up before I changed the lights. I also have the lights on a three week acclamation process. All water tests look good. I don't see any fish nipping at anything. Looking for any thoughts. Should I keep doing water changes?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

LPS prefer dirtier water and lower lighting IME. I'd hold off on the water changes as long as your NO3 & PO4 are at acceptable levels.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    LPS prefer dirtier water and lower lighting IME. I'd hold off on the water changes as long as your NO3 & PO4 are at acceptable levels.
    I run carbon and phosban, do you think I should stop for a little while?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Don't want to do to much at once. What's your reason for running them? Do you have high phosphates?
    Between them and your water changes you could be stripping to much from the water column.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Don't want to do to much at once. What's your reason for running them? Do you have high phosphates?
    Between them and your water changes you could be stripping to much from the water column.
    I've always had them running since I started the tank. Phosphates are good but they have been high in the past. I turned the flow down some on the two filters hoping that helps. I've had cyanobacteria problems in the past even with plenty of flow and limiting the amount of food i put into the tank.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

What are your alkalinity and calcium levels? LPS will act funny if these are out os whack.

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    What are your alkalinity and calcium levels? LPS will act funny if these are out os whack.

Tom
    Cal: 390
    Alk: 11 dKH
    PH: 8.10

First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That could be it. Calcium should be higher and alk lower. Somewhere like 420 calcium and 8 alkalinity. How do you supplement them?

Another thought is something corroding in the tank (e.g., magnet, hoseclamp, etc.). I once lost a lot of mature LPS and nearly all of my SPS to a rusty TUNZE magnet. So, may be check all of you impellors ang magnet mounted gear.

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    That could be it. Calcium should be higher and alk lower. Somewhere like 420 calcium and 8 alkalinity. How do you supplement them?

Another thought is something corroding in the tank (e.g., magnet, hoseclamp, etc.). I once lost a lot of mature LPS and nearly all of my SPS to a rusty TUNZE magnet. So, may be check all of you impellors ang magnet mounted gear.

Tom
    I use Sachem for all my supplement, and I test at least every two weeks when i do a water change. Any thoughts on bring alk down?

First Name
    Tom

Stop dosing the allalinity part while still dosing calcium. You can increase the Ca dosing a bit to get them balanced more quickly. There's a dosing calculator somewhere on here that will tell you how much Ca you need to get back up to 420.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last