[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Attaching Chalice & Monti?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Attaching Chalice & Monti?

Can I use super glue gel to attach them to my rock? Neither one are on plugs. Will they then grow onto the rock?
    3776880073ec3b8596ffc34f776a3266 - Attaching Chalice & Monti?9242d14598c10d76cf0aba25f602c28a - Attaching Chalice & Monti?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Absolutely you can, once they get comfortable with where you put them they should start entrusting onto the surrounding rock

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Attaching Chalice & Monti?

Great! Thank you for such a quick reply Now can I do the same with my Birds Nest? It is on a plug, but I'd like to remove it and attach it directly to the rock. I do know that it will not encrust so what would be the best method to secure it?
    d6575e14f7cf79c09173901aa1c79330 - Attaching Chalice & Monti?

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Keep it on the plug and just glue the plug down.It's a lot easier than trying to glue the actual coral itself to a rock

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Alrighty than Thanks again for your help!

rfgonzo - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would remove the plug on BN, Nice frag with a ugly plug, just use a razor blade take it right off the plug then use some epoxy and superglue. If your parameters are right and the birds nest is healthy it will most definitely encrust the epoxy, I can't speak for a plug as I always remove coral from them.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

That's why I was wanting to remove it from the plug-ugly. Could you explain a little-epoxy AND super glue?

rfgonzo - Reefkeeper CR Member

The epoxy I use is JB water weld it will cure underwater and is reef safe. I use this to hold the coral in place then add superglue to the epoxy so when you attach to live rock it will cure in 10 to 20 seconds because the epoxy takes about 15 minutes to harden this will keep your coral from falling over. Just make sure the supper glue contains Cyanoacrylate most superglue's do and it will say it right on the front of the tube. Liquid or gel

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rfgonzo View Post
    The epoxy I use is JB water weld it will cure underwater and is reef safe. I use this to hold the coral in place then add superglue to the epoxy so when you attach to live rock it will cure in 10 to 20 seconds because the epoxy takes about 15 minutes to harden this will keep your coral from falling over. Just make sure the supper glue contains Cyanoacrylate most superglue's do and it will say it right on the front of the tube. Liquid or gel
    Bingo. I now prefer to remove frags from plugs and my preferred attachment method is the epoxy sandwich with superglue on top and bottom. So superglue the frag to the epoxy, and then put superglue on the bottom of the epoxy and squish that into the rock. Works well.

Hey Jamie, You can attach all of those using only superglue gel. Apply glue generously and hold it in place until it holds itself. You can snap the BN right off the plug and glue it in. They typically don't base much before they start growing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last