[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Birds Nest help?!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Birds Nest help?!

I'm concerned about my Birds Nest. Showing very small pe in some areas. Receives moderate turbulent flow.
    Alk-8.4
    Ca-450
    Mag-1440
    PH-8.2
    Temp-78.5
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410968492.141090.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  71.4 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410968521.343136.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  47.7 KB
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

BUMP! Anyone?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    BUMP! Anyone?
    I don't see anything wrong. Looks like a healthy coral. Stop worrying so much!

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Tom-I know you said it looks fine but to me it doesn't. Actually it seems to be getting worse
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411509489.060079.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  43.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411509509.874951.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  50.4 KB

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

BN's are very sensitive to Alk changes. Have you shifted your levels, up or down?

looks like its just a little unhappy. If it doesnt continue downhill, I wouldnt worry too much about it just yet, as long as your not changing your normal parameters.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Default Birds Nest help?!

Definitely ALK changes. I've been trying to keep it stable but it's been hard. For whatever reason it keeps dropping. If I don't dose it's gone down as low as 6.7 So I started dosing BRS 2part, Alk only. Got it up to 8.4, had hoped it would stay. But then it went to 9.0. I can't seem to get the proper amount to dose to keep it steady.
    Thing is, it was doing great at those lower levels. Should I just stop dosing?

First Name
    Chris

On a tank that size, with the light bio-load, adsorbing alk/calc, I would think water changes would keep things pretty stable. If not, have you ever thought of just topping off with Kalkwasser?

Im my opinion, the level your Alkalininty is, within reason of course, isnt near as important as that it remains stable. I normally find the easiest level to maintain and stick with that. As long as its somewhere between 6-9dkh and stable, I am happy. I use kalkwasser to maintain my tanks. I have yet to have a mature/heavily stocked enough tank that meet the demands of 2 part.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

My bi-weekly WC isn't maintaining proper levels of Alk. Actually manual dosing is going to be my best option. Easier for me to control. Kalk in my ATO scares me because I get a lot of evap. At least 5g's every 7 days. Just easier for me to measure the 2part.
    I've been talking with Randy Farley about this issue. He's explained that by me dosing Alk only and not equal amounts of both parts, I'm actually causing the swings in stead of stabilizing them.
    So tonight I'll start dosing both. I go from 8.4 to 7.6 dkh within a 24hr period. So I'll be dosing 24ml a day @12ml x2 each.
    Question for you. Is it better to add the doses to my return chamber or directly to a high flow area in the DT?

First Name
    Chris

I would dose them in the sump. Let the major reactions happen in the sump, become diluted, and change slowely with the flow to the display, where your corals are living.

I noticed you stated that you were dosing just the Alk part of the 2 part. I was assuming you did this just to get the level up, then start a regime of both parts added equally. Good luck with the 2 part dosing. In the past, when I tried it, I had alot of fun figuring it and the doses out. Was a small peice of the hobby I enjoyed for a while and at the same time learned very much on water chemistry, and the reactions that it all causes.

Have fun with it, and watch that BN for an indicator, for when things might become off a bit. It will tell you when somethings not right in the 2 part dosing department.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I was dosing just the Alk to raise it. And my BN has been telling me things aren't right, it looks terrible. Probably gonna lose it Way to go me-ugh!
    As for the dosing, never had an issue with it on my 26g. Worked well. Tax return I'll definitely be picking up a 3-4 station doser. The Jebao has a nice one for $119. Getting great reviews too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last