[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Bringing corals from Canada?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

Default Bringing corals from Canada?

Hello everyone,

I'm taking my first international vacation to Canada! While I was there I thought I'd look at different corals and maybe fish to bring back, but I'm having difficulty finding information on how legal that is to do? Searching online only seems to give me info on cats and dogs however. I was hoping someone on here has done this before and would have some helpful info. Thanks in advance for the help.Bri

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

You just got to get some paper work from customs? Are you shipping them back or packing them im your vehicle?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

You will need to have CITES paperwork if you are bringing in any SPS which verifies the origin of the particular corals. Contact US Fish and Wildlife and they have very strict import requirements as they are the folks that regulate wildlife importation. Its probably easier to order corals from US vendors rather than dealing with the hassle of meeting permit compliance. Their phone number is 734-247-6800.........................Jim Z.
    Likes Pro X liked this post

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

+1 on Jim Zs comments. Also, at current C$ / US$ exchange there will likely be no chance for savings either.

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    +1 on Jim Zs comments. Also, at current C$ / US$ exchange there will likely be no chance for savings either.
    It would be easier to ship them. A guy from Canada came through to MASMA swap a few months ago and his corals got confiscated when he tried to go home. It was a big hassle and I'm sure all the coral died....

Probably not worth it in my opinion.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Just take a risk and smuggle them. Customs rarely search vehicles.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

Cites run bout 200 for a load of coral where ya going reef raft has some awesome stuff in Canada.
    Big Steve

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Just take a risk and smuggle them. Customs rarely search vehicles.
    USFW takes no prisoners regarding a violation of national wildlife and CITES laws. When you do not declare something, the fines get bigger, your passport will be registered with DHS and you will always get stopped. An incredibly ill advised statement ...............Jim Z.
    Likes spartyblaze, ebushrow liked this post

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

I know reef raft has to buy the cites then drives the coral to buffalo then ships from there to us customers so its a hassle n cost is up there for the cites.
    Big Steve

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

A friend of mine from Canada was working in Mi and didn't declare it. He was getting paid under the table and they some how found out. He got banned from crossing the border. After many years, he was able to get a letter from his govt allowing him to cross, but when they run his name.....it comes up banned or something. He provides them with his letter, then he's searched for hours both coming/going and it's a BIG hassle. Not worth lying to customs because if you get caught, you might never be able to cross the border again or at least for many many years.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last