[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Emerald Crab Eating Polyps

Bookmark and Share
    pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Default Emerald Crab Eating Polyps

OK it is for sure now my emerald crab is eating coral! It has been picking at my birds nest and everyone I talked to said it was just picking for algae. I have been watching for a few days and tonight I could see him pulling polyps out and eating them on my birdsnest. I showed him off and when I came back a few hours later he was yanking on the red hairy acro I have and eating polyps again. I could see the polyps in its claw!! Anyone else seen this? I thought emeralds were reef safe. Might it be do to the fact that I have zero algae in the tank for him to eat? He seems to be just fine when I feed mysis shrimp. I tried catching him with my long tweezers. Failed! I got to get that little sucker!

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

The only 100% reef safe crabs are the filter feeding porcelain crabs and acropora crabs (at least that I know of). The rest will eat anything... sure they may prefer algae but as you are seeing when the algae is gone they switch to other foods.

If its eating mysis you may be able to trap it using the the good old tilted-glass-jar-with-mysis-on-the-bottom trick.

Good luck with your crabbing,
    Tom

CR Member

After the show on Sunday, I stopped by Preuss Pets & my dad pointed out the emerald crab to me. I pointed out to him that it was on a piece of coral and it was ripping the polyps out and feeding off them, and told him there's no way I'm putting one of those in my tank.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

You need to get the tee shirt!

cr crab shirt zps9b6e1a71 - Emerald Crab Eating Polyps

I have an emerald that pretty much lives in my large sour apple BN. May have to keep a close eye on him. He doesn't seem to be doing any harm.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I haven't noticed them picking at corals much when I have kept them. If you have large enough colonies, I doubt they would cause major harm. But with small frags having an emerald picking at it would be a problem.

pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

In a system with no algae they just get hungry and find alternatives. It may not be going after at first but it must of got a taste of one and liked it!! Still haven't caught him but I will.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

They got big pincher claws for a reason. Lol. Just get some wrasse's and they will eat the crab. Mine always make a good meal out of them.

CR Member
    First Name
    Robert

yeah i normally take a small soda bottle a clear one and cut and reverse the top to it so its upside down in the bottle attach a string"fishing line" and bail you will catch him and if you have no sensitive livestock in refuge throw him in there no reason to punish him for being hungry or being curious

CR Member
    First Name
    Bryce

I had this same thing happen to me- just as everybody else said, once there's no food they switch to other eats---- mines gone now