[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

encrusting montis really pi**ing me off

Bookmark and Share
    rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default encrusting montis really pi**ing me off

Well I have a orange encrusting monti, that is growing fast and has already forced me to move my 20k lokani, and tommorow I will move my German blue poly acro. The monti seems to be winning those wars, it's also beating on my spongodes (which doesn't concern me so much that thing will be a problem also in the future). So how would a cold hearted reefer go about eradicating an encrusting monti? Kalk is out of the question because of the proximity of Acros I don't want burned. Would a thin layer of epoxy smother them to death? I would just move the rock it's on but my purple monster is pretty well encrusted on the same rock and it looks divine, I really don't want to move the purple monster. Besides the rock is very nice and I would rather not "chunk it out" with the hammer and chisle if I can help it.

On another note I have a superman monti about to introduce it'self to my monti setosa, something tells me the setosa is going to lose the battle big time. I really do rue the day I put those turds in my tank. They are pretty, kind of, but they eat real estate like Donald Trump. So what do you folks think?

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

why dont u do a PIF with them or something? would be a nice thing to do since you want to get rid of it anyways

Myteemouse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

I would try the epoxy/glue trick first
    if not I would remove the SPS and sell the monti rocks and move on

You think monti's are bad stingers. ORA red planet NUKES EVERYTHING small polyp-ed in it's way..
    And I mean EVERYTHING
    President of Zoaholics anonymous.
    still on first step of twelve

I'll have to watch my red planet, thanks for the tip. At least the red planet doesn't run across the rock so fast.
    Demon I would pif them in a heartbeat, but they are attached to rocks that have acros encrusted on them. If you want to come up I'll chip you some off the rock.

Chatbox Menace

i personally do not have enough lights for that kinda coral yet. and i hear ya about not wanting to accidentally break your other colonies

Demon I have a 70w jbj halide for cheap, lol. Come on by anyway I have a zoa for you, on the house. Besides you still havent taken a look at my 180g.

Werdlone - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

I have the same problem...I recommend just taking large chunks off first and then put epoxy over the rest on the rock. Kalk will work without harming local corals. I have used it to get rid of mushrooms. Just make sure the pumps are all off and you make a thick paste. It will sit in place on the coral and actually solidify a bit after a few minutes.

Chatbox Menace

ya man, i really do gotta see that 180. i mean when i saw your nano it was AMAZING. this probably outcompetes it by like 1000 times.