[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Montipora Growth

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Montipora Growth

Hello,

I was given my first encrusting montipora which was given to me without a frag disk. Its basically in the shape of a brick but only encrusted on one side. The bottom side which is not encrusted, has lots of points which doesn't allow it to lay flat for me to glue it to a disk . Its doing well in my tank and even encrusting on the bottom edges but I want it to encrust on my live rock or grow upward like the picture I have attached which is same exact one I have. anyone have any idea? Or is it ok to smooth out the bottom of it (the side that is not encrusted) without damaging it?
    Name:  montipora.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  15.0 KBName:  montipora.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  15.0 KB

In case I didn't attach the pic right, here is the link: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...gkjDrl6EMedDaQ

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

That's a great looking coral there. I hope yours will show the same coloration! Rather than gluing it to a frag plug, why don't you just glue it down to the LR? Use a thick gel CA glue, and really glop it on so that glue extends well past those pointy bits. It will grow right over everything and attach the rock just fine.

I have had a few encrusting montis in my tank, and I always hated the look of that (very obvious) frag plug underneath the original growth. I have twice been able to chisel off the original frag plug part after the rest of the coral grew out... Gave them both away to CR members. The third one didn't end so well...

Post up a picture once yours does start to grow out. I am sure I am not the only member who would love to see it.

CR Member

Thanks! Mine looks almost the same except this one is just a tad bit brighter. I had bought some LPS corals at the L.F.S and the owner threw this one in for free. At the time I didn't have any interest in montipora. When he gave it to me it was a dull red/pink color then all of a sudden it started to brighten and the base turned to this light purple pinkish color and orange polyps appeared! Now im fascinated with montipora! Do they normally tend to change color in different lighting? Also what brand is this glue, I couldn't find it online?

I agree, I don't like the look of the encrusting over the disk either. Thanks for the info I will definitely do that and take a pic