[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New stuff from the local FRAG auction!

Bookmark and Share

Default New stuff from the local FRAG auction!

I attented my first ever P.R.O.P. auction, which is a local event here Phoenix. The PROP auction, works with the local reefing club called FRAG (I'm not sure how this is all laid out yet, but it's all good!).

I am not sure how PROP was founded, but here is how it works. There are 6 "PROP farmers" around Phoenix, basically the locals with the best tanks, and most experience in reef keeping. They got together, and bought some corals. They then grow these corals out, frag them, and auction off the frags, the money from the auctions goes to buying more mother colonies, and the process repeats. It's really pretty cool.

Well, I went to my first one this weekend. It was much bigger than I thought! They auctioned off more than 200 frags over the course of about 4 hours. There were approximatly 50 people at the auction. Some AMAZING DEALS! Most auctions started at $1, some of the more rair corals started at $5 or $10. Here is what I got. I can't recall the name of species of most of these, but I just liked what I saw and the prices were CRAZY!

This one I actually got for free. It is a Hodag's Monti. I got this through a raffle drawing that I paid $3 to enter. So $3 went a long ways!
    PROPAuction0041 - New stuff from the local FRAG auction!

Here is a photo of two corals that I got. The one of the left I think is some type of brown branching monti, or acro, with purple tips. It looks really nice, and is a huge frag. I paid $11. The one on the right is a huge frag on a HUGE rock, so I paid $20 for it. I have NO idea what it is, but is very bubbly looking with small polyps on each bubble. The photo is terrible.
    PROPAuction0031 - New stuff from the local FRAG auction!

This was my favorite one of the bunch! This is a plating monti, brown and green with VIVID purple edges. It is a pretty small frag, maybe 3" at the longest part. I paid $11 for this bad boy!
    PROPAuction0021 - New stuff from the local FRAG auction!

This one is nothing fancy, but I only paid $5 for it. It is a tall branch, about 5" tall of a brown monti, or acro. I don't know the difference in the two species.
    PROPAuction0011 - New stuff from the local FRAG auction!

So, I got all of those for $47! I can't wait for the next event! There were huge anemones, very rare zoas, some stuff sold for upwards of $100. Other stuff, like common montis, acros, and others were selling for VERY cheap, $1-$5. Anyways, I don't want to make everyone jealous!
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

let me know when the next one is and i'll send you some money so you can buy for me too. i'll be sure to send a little extra for your trouble. oh yeah, you know i will also pay shipping. let me know when the plating monti grows out enough to frag cuz i like that. but on a serious note ... it sounds to me like you found the sweet spot in your area. keep us posted on how they are doing. and BTW ... i AM jealous !!!

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Looks like you made out like a bandit Tyler... The plating monti is awesome... they are at the top of my list of faorites.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Thanks guys. Bobby, I will let you know when the next one is. The PROP farmers, usually list the items they will be bringing, and post photos of the mother colonies a few weeks before the auction so bidders can start planning ahead. I will send you the link the next time they hold an auction.
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

i hate you, lol, you got some really nice stuff there. thats a pretty good thing they have going it seems
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

Those look like really nice pieces, Tyler! Congrats! Now you have more things to take pictures of so we can see how they grow!

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

Nice pieces Tyler. Just to let you know the first one is a Hydnophora. Nice coral with a nasty sting towards other corals, so just make sure it doesn't fall on any other corals or come with in 2" of any coral. Congrats on the good deal.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Tyler.....................SCORE!!!!!! that is some nice shwag!!!! that stuff is gonna look nice buddy.
    fulltankshot 1 - New stuff from the local FRAG auction!

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Tyler good to see you fond the sweet spot around you CONGRATULATIONS
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7