[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

please help! monti eating nudibranchs

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    reeferchick - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    kk or kendra (:

Default please help! monti eating nudibranchs

so after five years of very happy reefing!!! lol i have come across a nudibranch problem i hate to put the site i got it from on blast so i wont but i know for a fact it was them because i orderd a second piece after tossing the first one for looking terrible over the next couple days!! i thought maybe with the first peice after dipping it i used more lugols the usual but nope the eggs never died off and they were slowly eating the monti away the second piece i recived had larger nudibrach that i could actually pick off!! omg.... never made it to any of my tanks!!!! i removed all monti from my main 75g to my 14g biocube quarantine tank just in case!!! i wouldnt be so worried but i had left that monti in my tank for two days watching it slowly loose color! in two days i can only think of the worst running around my tank! please help any tips!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Kendra ...I'm not that up on the monti/nudi issues (thankfully). But I'm going to move your thread to the SPS forum and let a couple of our SPS gurus know about you're issue.

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

The preferred solution for dipping (and killing the eggs, which is key) is Levamisol, which is a veterinary medicine used to treat intestinal worms in pigs and cattle.

Combined with Levamisol dips I would consider adding some or one of a few select wrasses including but not restricted to Yellow Coris, or 6 Line. In most cases they can be quite effective at keeping pests at bay. I would also DIP EVERYTHING that goes into your tank using one of the commercially available dips such as Coral RX or Revive. Neither of these will kill the eggs so very close inspection and removal of the eggs is highly recommended. Good Luck!

Myteemouse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

I had them they are a bugger to get rid of.. I lost a 5 gallon bucket bottom full of caps.
    President of Zoaholics anonymous.
    still on first step of twelve

softiegirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sue
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

yellow coris wrasse? it made mincemeat out of my zoa nudi problem in about a week and has been a tank champ ever since!

reeferchick - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    kk or kendra (:

awsome!! thanks so much guys!! i recently this last year got into the montis didnt think id ever end up in this boat!! happy reefing everyone!

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Good luck in the fight, I'm against them also right now.

CR Member

I was told by an old reefer just to pitch all your monti's if you get them. Now with all the good dips out, I would not tell that to anybody anymore. I would pull your moni's though and run them in a qt tank and cycle it revive every few days. Just a small tank with a small piece of liverock Let the main tank fallow without monti's for a couple mos atleast. JMO

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

If I had this issue, I would go with Raptors suggestion. I have seen it done in that process a few times, sucessfully.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last