[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Rainbow Prtostra

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    speedstar - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Rainbow Prtostra

Mulit colored base and polyps. Can't wait to grow it out. Anyone have any pics of a full colony? can you install a pluggin to auro resize pics unless clicked for full res?

rba - Rainbow Prtostra

The Rugger - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I have yet to venture into the SPS world with My tank. I have 2X150 MH and have some soft corals. I have kept my fish population SPS safe as I have been preping to go this way for some time. My water parms are right on for what I have. What will I need to adjust to take on SPS? My water flow is medium at best with some high flow areas. I have kept my Ca levels at or around 450 ppm. What are some good starters?

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

great starter sps corals: montipora digitata is a great hardy coral... montipora capricornus (plating monti) another hardy sps... stay away from the acros and milli's they are a little trickier digitatas and montis are what I "cut my teeth" on getting into sps.

both type of corals come in very nice colors and add some great texture and lines in the tank as well
    fulltankshot 1 - Rainbow Prtostra

So other than adding food for these, nothing else changes?

First Name
    Greg

if your parameters are in check and you have good lighting you really do not need to supplement to feed these corals... they will pull right out of the water collum and lighting to get everything they need to grow.

but if you have excellent filtration and good parameters, feeding heavy, though it can be dangerous can really help. My chips acro grabs cyclopeze all the time. Now if it does anything to help growth can be discussed, but i say yes.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I have had feeding reaction on both acros and montis feeding rotifeast. They actually will send out a white filament out of the polyp to catch the rotifers.

I've been using oyster feast seems to really perk up the feeding response.

Quote Originally Posted by graphixx View Post
    great starter sps corals: montipora digitata is a great hardy coral... montipora capricornus (plating monti) another hardy sps... stay away from the acros and milli's they are a little trickier digitatas and montis are what I "cut my teeth" on getting into sps.

both type of corals come in very nice colors and add some great texture and lines in the tank as well
    What about zoos? I have read they are pretty easy. I added some yellow zoos some time back and they didn't make. I have been hesitant to try again.

First Name
    Greg

zoo's and rics are pretty low maintenance... easy light and moderate flow and they do pretty good!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last