[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

RTN

Bookmark and Share
    youngtimothy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default RTN

sweet, I came home from work yesterday and my 1 year old green birds nest was starting to go, today its gone! my 3 year old pink birds nest had a few branches starting yesterday, but I think it may be safe. I was able to frag a small piece of the green before it was all gone we'll see if it makes it. gotta love them SPS! yes my parameters are good.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by youngtimothy View Post
    sweet, I came home from work yesterday and my 1 year old green birds nest was starting to go, today its gone! my 3 year old pink birds nest had a few branches starting yesterday, but I think it may be safe. I was able to frag a small piece of the green before it was all gone we'll see if it makes it. gotta love them SPS! yes my parameters are good.
    I hate to say but what does "parameters are good" mean?

do you dose? if so whats ur alk at? calc? all those things.

First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

thats allright I knew it was coming!

100 gal display 20 gal's of sump/fuge
    80 degrees
    9 dkh
    430 cal
    amonia nitrate nitrite phos all undetectable
    8.29 ph
    I dose 3ml vodka and 1 cap microbacter7 daily
    BRS alk and cal every hour via doseing pumps and RKL
    ro/di water
    6 t-5's for lighting

Two factors I can see there that are likely the problem. Alk at 9dkh is quite high for a pro biotic system. You are hovering on the verge of tip burn with your acros at that level. I would strongly recommend slowly dropping it down to 7-8 dkh. Second and most likely is that with your dosing regiment you have probably stripped the tank. It has been my experience that birdsnest and monti caps seem to be the canary in the coal mine. In other words they prefer a bit more nutrient than other sps. I would lower the vodka dose slightly and increase feeding. I have had the same experience a few years ago.

First Name
    Tim

I can lower the alk but when it is 7 to 8 my huge blue tunuis acro starts to die off. I also have a green slme algae growing on sand and rocks it has been driving me nuts for a year, this tells me i'm not low on nutrients (at least I think). the only way it could be lack of flow is if the corals are blocking the flow I run 2 mp40w and a 800gph return pump.

Of course all corals are not the same but the ocean is closer to 6-6.5dkh. Many times people have huge problems when the reach ULN and their alk is higher than 8dkh. I have a 100 gallon display and a 30 gallon frag tank both piped out of a 30 gallon sump. Approx 130 gallons total. I dose .5ml of vodka daily and 1 cap of MB7 weekly and I feed several time a day. The risk of running your alk at 9dkh is that growth and consumption can vary. Let's say you feed a little heavy one day and your phosphate rises slightly. The additional PO4 can inhibit calcification and slow growth slightly which in turn reduces overall consumption of carbonate. The result is your alk can creep up even higher and smoke the tips on certain corals.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngtimothy View Post
    I can lower the alk but when it is 7 to 8 my huge blue tunuis acro starts to die off. I also have a green slme algae growing on sand and rocks it has been driving me nuts for a year, this tells me i'm not low on nutrients (at least I think). the only way it could be lack of flow is if the corals are blocking the flow I run 2 mp40w and a 800gph return pump.

First Name
    Tim

I lowered the time on my alk and cal and will lower the dose of vodka and mb7. we'll see what happens.