[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Devil's Hand

Bookmark and Share
    dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

Smile Devil's Hand

I hope someone can give me an idea. I don't find much that tells me what to look for if this coral is stressed. It's suppose to be a good beginner coral so I am giving it a try. He has been in the tank now for two and a half weeks. Everything has been going great except today when I came home from work he has none of his feeders out. It's still like this. I did do a 3 gal water change (each week) yesterday and tested my levels. I fed everything and it seemed to handle everything fine yesterday. None of the other things are showing stress.

There is no melt down that I can see. He is standing upright still and does not have any slime on him. Param's are nitrite 0 ammonia 0 nitrate 5 ph 8.1 temp 79-81 calcium 380 alk 9. I have dosed a calcium/alk buffer to raise the calcium just a touch. I also tested for iodine and found that there was none in the tank so I dosed for that yesterday too.

Anyone own one or have any experience with one? I would love any advice you may have. Don't want to lose it considering I live in Arizona and my husband calls it his little saltwater cactus.

Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Leather corals seem to just do that once in while. If everything looks fine ,regarding parameters, I would just keep an eye on it. It probably will be OK.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Devils hand,common names are so tough.Could be Lobophytum sp,maybe a Sarcophyton sp,either way its most likely a leather coral.It is normal for Leathers to go into periods of recession/dormancy.They shrivel up,look sickly,no polyp extension,etc..This can last from days to weeks and can occur once a month or hardly ever.Either way,its a normal behavior.The coral will re-emerge shedding a waxy coating(tunic) and will be healthier as ever.This sheeding is highly toxic to some corals and if possible,remove it from your tank.

Thanks, I do see that it has a glossy look to it. Kind of shiny in spots. Will this coating come off as a slime or will it be like skin? Is it easy to remove? What is the best way to remove it? I really don't want it to affect anything else in the tank.
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

Default devils hand

It seems everyone thinks it is a leather coral. Mine shrivels up and looks like he is going to die every 2-3 weeks or so.I've changed the water and he came back perfectly, and other times he shriveled up 1 or 2 days after a water change and did fine the next day. They just seem moody almost like it's Tuesday I'll have a tantrum and I'll be ok tomorrow. I don't know if this helps or not. Probably not

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Very common behavior for any sarco. ssp. When she's good and ready (and not one moment before!) she will shed off a layer of slime and extend her polyps. The slime is pretty toxic and if possible best if manually removed from the water column once shed. It seems that if you try to *help* her remove the slime it gets cranky again immediately, at least for us that has been the result.

The temper tantrum doesn't seem to coincide with anything in particular for us like waterchanges or other changes in the tank, more like AT mentioned above, it's tuesday and I feel like looking dead today.

But the fussy spells last for a day or two, a week, or weeks at a time... no rhyme or reason to it, just a guess but it might be part of some sort of growth cycle, as after each episode they get larger <-- pure speculation and observations on my part

Thanks so much. I looked up it's scientific name which I will try to use when asking questions so no one gets confused. It's a Lobophytum sp. He still hasn't came back out but last evening it looked like some of his polups were trying to poke through. I will keep an eye on him and will definately remove anything that he sheds. Thanks again, everyones advise helped so that I didn't just assume it was dead and remove him from the tank.

Angie