[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Fragging Sinularia?

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Fragging Sinularia?

I need to frag my green sinularia again. I've done this several times before, but still haven't found the perfect method of attaching the frags to plugs. I want them on plugs to make it easier and have them look nice for the Frag & Swag wheel frag tank at the upcoming MCES.

green nepthia top down zps7267d64e - Fragging Sinularia?

I've tried sewing the frags to plugs with about a 50% success rate. Some of them rotted away under the thread (even though I didn't tie much of it around them).

I've tried putting them in a container and letting them tumble around until the attach to rubble. I don't like this method...some just tumble around or land on top of other frags and don't attach...or attach to the container instead. Plus then there is another step of cutting and gluing rubble to the plugs.

Has anyone found a way to do attach sinularia to plugs that is fast and efficient?

#MCES

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Duct tape... I just glue them

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

I have found that sewing was the easiest way, same thing as toad stools.
    rc Hopkins sig - Fragging Sinularia?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Toadstools definitely do well with sewing. Sinularia is more prone to rot than the toadstools.

I think a frag plug with a small toothpick hole would be ideal...they could be stabbed down with a toothpick to hold them in place long enough to attach. Has anyone seen plugs with holes in them?

I wonder if @gooch with The Alternative Reef could make some plugs like this.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

@dputt88 not sure how glue would hold them down? They slime up so much that they wouldn't take the glue?

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

they always get pretty coarse down at the bottom, i just glue them there. ive only fragged mine a few times but tis has worked every time.

Coral Frenzy - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    Ken

The easiest way that I know of is to take G U M Soft-Picks Teeth Cleaners and poke them through a peice and the barb on the end will stick in the small holes of a peice of rubble rock.

Get A Deep Dental Cleaning with Brush Picks: Soft-PicksĀ® 120 ct. | GUM | Sunstar Americas, Inc.

Nice colony by the way.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I was hoping someone would tell me there is a frag plug with holes made for poking toothpicks into. Thus being able to skip a step and attach right to plugs.

But I just came up with an idea...if I get a chance this weekend, I'll give it a try and post some pics.