[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My Lazy RBTA

Bookmark and Share

Default My Lazy RBTA

I am sure some of you have heard the story of my RBTA, but some may not have. I got a free RBTA from a local reefer that was about the size of my fist. I placed it in my small nano and it was never real happy. Just before I sold my nano, I came home to find my RBTA had let go of it's rock and had floated back into a corner of the tank and appeared to be dieing. Rather than risk this anemone dieing in my tank and killing off the rest of the inhabitants I pulled it out and flushed it. Turns out it wasn't dieing, it was splitting!!! I noticed 2 VERY tiny RBTA where stuck to the glass right where the other one had floated to. I managed to keep an eye on one of the two babies, and the other one disappeared into the back of rocks. When I got my new tank I took this little baby one and just dropped it in the big tank, figured it would either perish or find a little home somewhere. Now, I told you that story to tell you this story...

The little baby RBTA did find a home, right at the base of the back wall under a powerhead. It is so small, he is about the size of a half a dime...maybe smaller! Well, when I had my little mishap last week (my surge protector got submerged) I was worried about my chiller so I dropped a regular thermometer in the tank to keep an eye on the temp. The little thermometer drifted to the bottom and rested up next to the RBTA. Well...I'll be darned, the little RBTA latched onto that thermometer and has been riding it around the tank in daily laps for the last couple days. I really didn't plan on leaving that thermometer in there, but since he is now calling it home I guess I will leave it. I laugh every time I see it go drifting along the sand in the front of the tank with that TINY little RBTA stuck onto it...he seems to like it. His tenticles (all 5 or 6 of them), and nice and bubbly. I will try and get a picture next time it drifts by.
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

I had mine split on me one night, and then one die. Are you sure when they die they cause destruction in the tank? because I didnt seem to notice anyone have any trouble in the tank after one died. (got sucked into the overflow).
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Anemones have been known to relaease toxins when they die. In a large tank it wouldn't be noticed. But this nano was a 6 gallon nano with less than 4 gallons of water in it. I was afraid it would be the end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

you were right to be affraid Tyler, in that amount of water it very well could have been the end. good move in taking it out !!

Tyler, that is such a great story! I have been reading about a lot of disasters lately, and I was starting to get kind of depressed about it. You have really made me smile with your baby's adventure... I can't wait to see pics of him!

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thats great story Tyler. RBTA will grow pretty fast if you feed them on a regular basis. My "baby" RBTA is getting pretty big now.

This thing is so small there is no way I could spot feed it. It has made it this far on it's own. I figure the little fella' can handle things on it's own.

Tracy, I can't imagine you without a smile on your face! But I'm glad it got a chuckle out of you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt4dinner
    Tracy, I can't imagine you without a smile on your face! But I'm glad it got a chuckle out of you.
    It most certainly did raise my spirits, Tyler... thank you! :sunny:

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

thats funny tyler. like tracy said it is getting kind of sad to hear about everyones disasters or near misses with the heat. i hope your little rbta does great
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute