[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Question about frags

Bookmark and Share
    Riceman - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Riceman

Default Question about frags

when u buy frags wat the proper way to place them in a tank. The following are examples of what I have done..

a) I bought a few mushroom and I just plased it on the rocks one attached itself to the rock and growing but the other two fell off and disappeared.

and

B) I bought a few frags from the last frag show and they was mounted on a ceramic platform. I placed one on the sand and the other deattached itself and I stuck it into the rock and placed a few pebbles to hold it in placed.

Riceman
    Last edited by Rabidgoose; 05-07-2011 at 05:54 PM.
    ****************** Riceman ****************************

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

What I've done with all my new frags that came on the ceramic plugs is remove them from said plug and *super glue gel* them onto the rock. There is also a special putty you can use to mount them on your rock.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Riceman

u are saying super glue right

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Make sure its the gel kind. And yes super glue.

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Yeah, I second that...make sure it's the gel. The store was out so I went ahead and got the liquid. I was only going to frag a hornet and figured it would work for the frag. I had to leave it out of water for about 10mins (no biggie for a zoa) but it was too runny and I got a little on the stem. Thought it was done for, but lucked out. Gel sets up nicely and doesn't run all over. Also, you can put the gel directly in the water before it's totally cured. I've had issues with the liquid as the frag tends to detach itself.

As far as using the glue on a mushroom, typically it doesn't work because they secrete some sort of film that the glue can't adhere to. I would recommend getting or having a friend save the mesh bag that oranges come in. take some rubble rock and put it in a small tupperware bowl, put the mushrooms in it and then cut the bag the oranges came in to size. Rubberband it over the top of the bowl and in a few days, you're mushrooms should attach themselves to a rock. The mesh bag will allow water in but not allow the mushrooms to escape and float away...never to be found again lol.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

^^what he said is a great idea^^
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Riceman

thank u thank u

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I "third" the GEL Super GLue. I once used the regular cause I though hey no big deal...wow was a WRONG. Big ol mess. Just saying
    Good luck dude, and remember eventually the coral will kinda attach itself over the rock it is glued on but until then it is easy to knock stuff off so always have gel glue on hand just incase.
    Heidi

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

super glue gel 3 pack for a Buck at dollar tree can't beat it keep 3-4 packs on hand at all times ya never know when a crab going to knock a Frag loose.
    Big Steve

First Name
    Riceman

^ aah thank u was lookin around for the glue. I know there a dollar tree off Jefferson downtown