[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Questions on transporting corals

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Questions on transporting corals

Hi folks,

I am extremely new to this hobby....oh lets say about 3 weeks now. :-D But I've been reading your postings and thought that this would be a great forum to share ideas and learn a few things. Obviously I'll be getting a lot more out than I put back in the short run.

I bought an 75 gallon tank with a 55 gallon Berlin(?) type sump setup. It came with a nice sail-fin tang, clown fish, banded shrimp, pulsing xenia, a couple of red legged hermit crabs, star polyps and a very nice maxima clam. The tank hadn't been maintained and there was hair algae covering 90% of the live rock.

I was able to save and transfer all of the old water, and after 2 days the water was clear and tested fine. I added 8 turbo snails, 6 astrea snails, 8 small hermits, a scooter blenny and a lawnmower blenny. Since then I've added 2 more turbos, 2 emerald crabs, 2 cleaner shrimp, 6 more small hermits, 2 scissor tail gobi's and a yellow-tailed damsel.

The job those turbos did on the algae was amazing...very little algae left and I have some very nice purple color throughout my tank now...

Now, here is my question...and I am going to preface this by saying that I probably want too much, too soon...but I know someone who is selling their coral because they are getting out of the hobby. They have white finger leather, purple leather, some sponge, star polyps, mushrooms and a few other things. The trouble is that they live back in my home state which is about an 8 hour drive each way. First, I am very concerned about adding too much too soon that it might upset the tank biology. How many new corals could I (or should I) add at once? Also, how would I transport them the 8 hours back? I was thinking that I would do an RO dip on each of them and place them all in a coleman cooler filled with water from his tank. Any thoughts? Would I need an airstone for the trip, or is that only required for fish? Also, how would I acclimate them when I got them home? Could I then do a drip acclimation process on the whole cooler?

I apologize for all of the questions...obviously I have a lot to learn, but I want to do it right...and if I can't do it right without shocking them to death, then I am going to let them go to some other home.

Thanks a lot!
    Ed

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

IMO, first of all a big welcome to reefing... you've taken the "dive". Welcome to CR. Now, you added alot of critters all at once(fish will have the biggest impact next to overfeeding and decaying matter/chemical warfare). A good deal seems to be the case, but bad timing is at hand. Wait... truth is any deal will be a waste if all just dies and takes the rest of your new tank with it. My main rule that I "TRY" to follow is patience.

Repto
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Good advise take it and don't get in a rush it can only lead to bad things happening

So far sounds like you have a good start so patience is the key

Be cheerfully with your fish load if you wont corals the more fish the More expensive the gear you need [ Big Skimmer - Large sump ] to of sit your
    water volume
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

It sure sounds tempting doesn't it? All those things sound so beautiful and would look great in your tank, but I agree with Repto. Go slow. Pick and choose your coral with purpose. When you get the chance to get out there and look at all there is to offer, you'll want to make selections of your own. I'd hate to see you have a tank full of stuff you got in a deal that fill up your tank and possibly fill up your tank leaving you not much space for the corals you start becoming aquainted with. Sure, it's gonna cost a bit, but each new piece is such a present to yourself!!! There's a lot to learn about compatablility of certain corals with others as well. It's great to have you join us here at Captive Reefing! We'll be more than happy to help you with any questions, no matter how small. Please remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question. We all got where we are with our reefs by asking a lot of those questions, and we respectfully answer because it wasn't that long ago that it was us doing the asking! Once again, welcome to Captive Reefing!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

CR Member

Default Thanks!

Many thanks to Raptoreef, JerryC and Reef Angel!

I do appreciate all of your advice, and I will do my best to exercise some restraint. I've just wanted to do this since I was 20, and now at 41 I think I'm trying to make up for lost time...ha, ha. Biological issues aside, Angel's point is well taken....one surprise at a time will be better in the long run.

Good news on the testing front...my water tested great today!

Tanks again,
    Ed

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Welcome aboard.

Lots of good advice in these few posts.... most from lessons learned the hard way.... not too proud to admit we did the 'adding too much bioload at once' too.
    Pretty much in the same boat on wanting a SW setup since I was a kid too, waited till just last year before taking the plunge. Glad I waited it out now, I have a luxury most don't... Angel is just as deep into this as I am, took all of two weeks from getting the first tank wet to get her hooked.

Patience is the whole key to surviving this hobby, obsession, whatever you want to call it, helps on the wallet too!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

As you have already seen the trick is to go slow! :yeahthat: :D But I can see that
    :rescuebug: so when your ready ... get a cooler and and a battery powered air pump from Wally Mart.... I transported frags from TN to Oh, a 12 hour drive and left them in the cooler over nigh (another 6hrs)t because we got home so late.. didn't lose a thing!
    Sounds like a good start getting the tank straight so don't get crazy .. yet!! Give it some more time and maybe a "better deal" will come along! ...
    Now where is this guy with all the coral????
    sarah
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!

CR Member

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the tip! I figured I would need to do something like that for a long transport. But I kinda have things in check now, so I've opted to just keep what I have for a bit.

The guy lives in western, PA...when I talked to my cousin today, she told me that the guy worked something out with a Doctor who has a tank in his business. At least they'll go to a good home.

Thanks again...

The guy lives in western, PA...when I talked to my cousin today, she told me that the guy worked something out with a Doctor who has a tank in his business.
    Figures I live in Eastern Ohio!!!! Seems I am aways a day late and a dollor short!
    Glad they got a good home! Besides I don't need to rescue anything now.........Pics to follow soon!

smilies 17749 - Questions on transporting corals
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!