[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Trimming a Hairy Shroom

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Trimming a Hairy Shroom

Can you trim the edge of a hairy shroom without killing it or releasing a bunch of toxin into the water column?

This guy has grown MUCH larger than I ever imagined. It's now encroaching on my new ricordea garden and I'm afraid it will over take them. Can I cut the edge of it back an inch or so without screwing up the shroom or other inhabitants in the tank?

Will the ricordeas be able to defend themselves from the hairy shroom? Heard that some mushrooms do have a sting, but not sure if ricordeas fall into that category.

Thanks!

IMG 19871024x683 zpsfebc7897 - Trimming a Hairy Shroom
    Last edited by HeiHei29er; 05-25-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Added photo

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Trimming a Hairy Shroom

Is the Tonga permanently attached? Looks like there's still plenty of room between the two. Tonga's max size is about 7". Looks like you could move the ric easy enough
    Everything I've read about Tonga shrooms says, semi-agressive.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Yeah you can. A lot of times when i frag my shrooms i miss the mouth and both grow fine. Making clen cuts and getting close to the center are the most imprtant things. It you get a successful frag im always looking to trade softies.

I reccomend cutting the mushroom off the rock entirely then fragging it. The part left on the rock will likely regrow.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Is the Tonga permanently attached? Looks like there's still plenty of room between the two. Tonga's max size is about 7". Looks like you could move the ric easy enough
    Everything I've read about Tonga shrooms says, semi-agressive.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it's permanently attached. The only way I can get it off is to tear it. That rock is epoxied to the rest of the structure, so taking it out isn't a real option.

It wasn't fully expanded in that photo. It gets to within an inch of the ric during full expansion. Plus, I think it's grown since that photo. Started adding a couple scoops of Reef Chili to my daily feeding, and it seems to have taken off since I've been doing that.

I could move the ric, but I'm hoping that they split, and I've left some room between them for offspring.

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dputt88 View Post
    Yeah you can. A lot of times when i frag my shrooms i miss the mouth and both grow fine. Making clen cuts and getting close to the center are the most imprtant things. It you get a successful frag im always looking to trade softies.

I reccomend cutting the mushroom off the rock entirely then fragging it. The part left on the rock will likely regrow.
    So, if I cut most of one side off but miss the mouth, it may survive?

Getting it off the rock will be tricky. Can't really take the rock out, so would need to try and cut it out in place. It's well attached.

May take you up on trades if successful. I'm looking for some zoas.

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

typically when i frag or do weeding i cut the whoel polyp off first, leaving the whole rock in place. the tissue that remains on the rock almost always grows into a new shoom, sometimes 2. then wit the poly i cut off i usually cut that in half or sometimes thirds. when i miss the mouth nearly all pieces survive anyways.

i used to have some hairy mushrooms, and they followed this same trend.

so you can cut the whole shroom off and let a new on grow.

or you can try cutting it in half and removing one of the halves (likely to be more difficult)