[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

1. You have a zoanthid eating worm.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc971...ature=youtu.be

2. Sundial snails. ( I've experienced this )

NOT MY PUCTURE

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

3. A fish that is nipping at them, there are several well documented cases of this. ( I've experienced this )

4. A rogue invert doing the same. ( I've experienced this )

5. Unstable or fluctuating parameters.

6. Large Emerald Crabs or a Sally Lightfoot. Both can and will
    consume, kill and cause polyp retraction. ( I've experienced this )

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...+crab+zoanthid

7. Sea Spiders. ( I've experienced this )

NOT MY PICTURE

343883C99232327Ffp43Enu3D3233A3E63B - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

8. If shipped, the water was much too cold and you placed it directly into your tank without slowly drip acclimating them. Or, the inverse, the water was too warm.

9. Nudibranchs ( I've experienced this )

NOT MY PICTURES

Nudi1 - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

greennudi1a 1 - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

90305Nudi3 - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

10. Stray Voltage. ( I've experienced this )

bush - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

11. Excessively high Iodine which would prove fatal.

12. Light shock

thunderstorm - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

13. Polyps that were kept in PC or VHOs and then placed mid to high level under MH's without light acclimating them. Possible burning could also occur.
    or

Polyps that were in maybe dual 175 SE Mh and then placed mid to high under 400 watt DE MH, will cause possible burning or a delayed expansion.

Sunburn 3 - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

14. Other stinging corals.

15. Chemical warfare.

16. Overpowering current. ( I've experienced this )

current - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

17. Excessive collection of sediment. See post 1, 6 and 7 in the link below.

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forum...zoanthids.html

18. Nuisance algae around the polyps which will irritate them and prevent them from expanding. ( I've experienced this )

19. Temperamental, yes, they are, there may be nothing at all wrong, that simply don't want to expand for that day.

Tomantic10042fcf67a41209 - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand

20. Fungus

21. Bacterial infection ( I've experienced this )

22. White lesions also referred to as Zoa Pox. ( I've experienced this )

23. Amphipods, which I have only witnessed eating sick, dead, dying, decaying polyps. Doesn't mean they won't eat perfectly healthy ones, I just haven't witnessed it, some have.

24. Extreme hypo or hyper salinity

25. And the final reason may not be any of the reasons above. Why? Periodically, polyps will retract from days to 10 to 14 days, during which they will clean themselves externally. Then without any advanced notice, they will unfold like a flower or a summer's morning.

I'm sure there are many more. If you have witnessed anything that you know for sure is a contributor to this list, please add it. Hopefully this thread can become a springboard for some

Mucho Reef

PS. There are proactive measures that one can take to prevent or greatly reduce your chances of experiencing the above. Most notably...

1. Dipping
    2. Close inspection
    3. Quarantine your new purchases http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
    4. Educating yourself on what to look for and recognize. I think a lack of knowledge is the one major contributors to most unfortunate experiences in reefing.

Just think about it

untitled 1 - 25 Reasons Why Your Polyps Won't Expand
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 07-14-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

Myteemouse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

very nice I like 25. this has happened to me (freaking me out in the process)
    when they open back up they look fantastic and better than ever and usually follow suit with a growth spurt
    President of Zoaholics anonymous.
    still on first step of twelve

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MUCHO REEF View Post
    Polyps that were in maybe dual 175 SE Mh and then placed mid to high under 400 watt DE MH, will cause possible burning or a delayed expansion.
    i dont have anything close to this on my biocube 29. it has the stock lighting(2 36w PC's) and sometimes when i move them up near/onto my frag rack the skin turns red and they do not open. they normally shirnk and whither away but i found if i put them back down low and spray them with my seasquirt a few times away the red tissue will fall off and resume normal skin tone. then a few days-week later they will be open but need to color up. why is this happening??? my lights arent even strong at all.... so i now only put them down low. also what does iodine do for zoanthids and palythoas?

As I always say, "listen to your reef and it will yield the answer". If you noticed, you've already answered the question. Zoas and palys will adapt to most any lighting scheme as I'm sure yours have. They have already adjusted/adapted/acclimated to the level of placement you had them in. But once you instantly moved them to the top of your tank which sounds like a 12 inch increase, they simply reacted with rapid retraction. Then once you moved them back, and in time, they expanded again. Some polyps are more or less sensitive then others. All things being equal, the only variable you changed, was the height of placement, and they are simply saying, "listen to me, I don't like it up here, put me back. This is where the Zig Zag method is most helpful. If a frag or colony has acclimated low in your tank, make small and/or incremental changes. For example, up 1 or 2 inches and over 1 or 2 inches in smaller systems, up 3 to 4 inches up and over larger systems. If you want to maintain the direct spray of light desire once you have finished the ZZ, just move it to the left or the right and you are back where you were, just slightly higher. Making these moves slowly will dramatically decrease the chance of and adverse reactions or retraction.

Lugols is highly concentrated and hard to test. Excessive levels can be extremely toxic and can whipe out your entire tank.

Hope this helps.

Mucho Reef
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 06-04-2010 at 07:23 PM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

ok thanks mucho. i guess all but the kedds redds will enjoy the sand from now on. ill get my kedds to start encrusting my rocks instead of a variety.

No problem, good luck. Just remember to make slow incremental changes in elevation and you'll be ok.

Mucho Reef

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

good list mucho

your forgot one probably as you haven't has them yourself is blue astrea stars
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

Quote Originally Posted by tazzy695 View Post
    good list mucho

your forgot one probably as you haven't has them yourself is blue astrea stars
    I'm aware of them and would probably categorize them under # 4.

GR808 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Great tips.
    I have a small Sally lightfoot crab in my tank and it doesn't seem to bother my polyps. The crab mainly stays on one rock and there are some polyps on the same rock. I'm curious to find out when the polyps will propagate but they open everyday and sometimes stay open at night. I also picked up some zoas last week and they opened up within an hour.
    Should I be worried about the crab and take him/her out?

We've had this same debate on another site, some agree, some don't. Many who didn't agree, well, they found out the hard way. You will hear stories of having an emerald crab kept safely in a tank for years and there was no problem. Emerald crabs are voracious eaters, that's all they so, they never sit still. Smaller emeralds are herbivores, yet once they are adults, ( shells the size of a quarter ), they become omnivores, and it's 50/50. I don't trust those odds in a tank full of expensive polyps. Once they pop a polyp and you aren't aware, they can mow a hill overnight. I never ever said this before to anyone, but I will say it now. I broke my entire tank down many years ago to catch mine when I saw one of them clearing a zoa rock. I had 3 of them at the time. Me personally, I would never ever place an adult emerald in a tank full of zoas, but that's me. If you want, I can send you a lot of threads on another site and you can read for yourself the stories.

Mucho Reef

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last