[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

A few things to look for when buying

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    mallorieGgator - Reefkeeper CR Member
    RC Trouble Maker

Default A few things to look for when buying

Hey everyone,
    I've been going to trades and conferences lately in the hobby. I wanted to try and inform newer people out there about some things to look for when you buy zoas/palys and even other corals. Feel free to contribute what you look for in a coral. This is what I look for:

Warning Signs:
    When you go to a trade show, the corals that usually show you they are the most unhappiest are the zoas and palys. When you are looking to buy a coral, go around to the vendors and see whos z's and p's are opened (sometimes it's best to do this in the afternoon after the corals have had some time to acclimate).
    When looking at a frag, look and see if you can see the superglue or if the frag disk is white. Usually the polyp will be all shrunken and irritated as well. This is a good sign that the polyps are recently fragged and to stay away from buying them. I've seen this at almost all of the vendors at the shows. There are only a few vendors who really care and take the time to let their stuff heal before they take it to the show. The most common "chop shop" jobs are done on all of the Hornets so if you are looking for a hornet, pick carefully.
    Irritated z's and p's that look healed. Always check before you buy for zoa pox, brown slime on polyps, and pests. Stay away from corals if they exhibit any of these symptoms.

What I look for in a good z and p:
    I am an animal biologist and I have grown up showing animals. So on top of me having to thoroughly like the colors of the coral, I must also enjoy the shape. I don't pick zoas that aren't growing close together. If there is a polyp here and there, I stay away from it. This is just personal preference to me.
    I look for a nice "fat" coral with good tissue and a healthy color. Avoid "white" zoas because they are likely bleached. Also, make sure the z's and p's have a good solid color- avoid transleucent corals.

Any one else care to share what they look for at a conference/trade show?
    Mallorie Gaughran- U.F. Animal Bio Undergrad
    55 Gallon SPS and Zoanthid Dominant Tank with a few LPS and NPS here and there.

mrs binford - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - December 2011 TOTM

I look for three or more polyps I have found that if there is three or more polyps they grow faster then just one or two polyps. and they have to be nice size to the smaller polyps grow slower to

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great info!

I look for colorful polyps, that are wide open with healthy looking mats and stalks. Anything that looks stressed is sure to just become even more stressed, and possibly not make it, on the trip home.

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Great info!

I look for colorful polyps, that are wide open with healthy looking mats and stalks. Anything that looks stressed is sure to just become even more stressed, and possibly not make it, on the trip home.
    thanks for the info will be going to my first show in august.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great info thanks for sharing.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Don't forget to DIP! Don't forget to QT!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

RC Trouble Maker

Good contributions everyone! Anyone else care to share?

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Great thread Mallorie, glad you came over.

Just to echo your thoughts, I look for robust, fully expanded, healthy looking, no slim, fully or near fully erect polyps. For many years I was known as the guy to went to LFS with a pin light and a magnifying glass when I purchase my zoas and palys , and that was way back when they were cheap, LOL. That was what I did to insure that I was getting good healthy corals. Also look for balance in coloration, if possible, the sniff test can determine early stages of decay. If there is a foul rotten order, don't buy it. All polyps should be firm with no signs of flaking. I agree with you, I would never ever buy a frag on a fresh white plug that could have been glued yesterday. It's a dead giveaway of freshly cut, possibly even the day of the swap. Fresh cut frags which haven't had sufficient time to heal are like rolling dice, and you could very easily crap out. I have seen it dozens of times with others. So be sure to ask and gauge your purchase accordingly.

Also, question the seller, whether on line or face to face. If they know the name and lineage, which means absolutely nothing, but can't tell you any of their parameters, type of lighting they were propped in, how long have they had the mother colony, when was it fragged, was it captive breed or wild caught, then don't buy it.

I once attended a frag swap many years ago, and the seller kept his polyps for the upcoming swap under pure actinics for a month for viewing and pic posting prior to the swap. 3 of the buyers who purchased frags and took them home and even placed them on the substrate on 250 and 400 watt MH, all experienced a serious case of bleaching. Ask questions about your purchase before you buy.

Mucho Reef
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 07-15-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

RC Trouble Maker

Hey Mooch! Thanks for the advice. Very good points you make on asking as many questions as you can think of.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

You're welcome Mal, but I'm sure there's more to add to this list.

MR
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last