[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Sick Zoa Advice

Bookmark and Share
    TheLittleMermaid - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Patti
    Awards Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Sick Zoa Advice

So once and a while some of our zoas in our tank will take a dive. I was able to shoot a good photo of my beautiful days that were all beat up. We have some ideas of why they may be crashing. First possibly zoa pox, then nudibranches, a possible hitchhicker. I would love some feedback on the pic! We have never found nudibranch eggs on the zoas. We do have two sexy shrimps but have been carefully watching to make sure they are not picking at the zoa skirts. They are very well feed. We did have a limpet population explosion but we have been slowly taking them out and placing them in our sump. Any ideas?
    58cc608b - Sick Zoa Advice

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

p.s. I also tried peeling/picking off the white dots on a few of the zoa polyps that you see in the pic but the zoas split so i just coral dipped it and i am keeping my fingers crossed it will come back.
    Just keep swimming, ...swimming, swimming....

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Looks like pox to me if so would explain the demise of others as I'm sure you know pox can spread fast.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Are you dosing anything like vitamin c ?

The only time I had trouble like that was when I tried some of the vitamin C additive.

Perhaps a waterchange would help?

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

It looks like a fungal infection to me. You should dip them in Furan-2 made by API. Used for treating fungal infections in freshwater fish, but works great for zoas. One packet per cup of tankwater and dip all of your zoas for 15 minutes. They always come right back and it will kill all that crap on them. You can repeat the treatment after a couple days, but should wait a week after that.

First Name
    Patti

Thanks for all the advice!!! Where can I get some of that Furan-2?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I agree with the Furan 2 suggestion. If you can't find any, I can mail you a few tablets.

Also I'd recommend doing a couple water changes and add some fresh carbon and GFO. I've found that routine will often pep my polyps back up and certainly wouldn't hurt as an added measure.
    Likes Badfish liked this post

First Name
    Patti

So I decided to go with the Furan 2 solution. Now I have a few other questions to any one that may know. How do you go about dipping it? Is it compared to a coral dip or does in need to go in a quarantine tank? For how long?

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Mix one packet for each cup of tankwater. Put it in a container that will be deep enough to cover your zoanthids. I have several "combo" rocks with lots of different zoas, so I have to use two or three packets. I use one of those disposable fruit salad containers like you get at Meijer Make sure it is well mixed and temp shouldn't be a problem, as you just took it from your display tank. I do six or seven at a time. Put the zoanthids in the mixture and leave them in there for 15 to 20 minutes. Take them out and put them in a rinse container of just tankwater. Shake them off and inspect them for anything else you need to take care of (like algae or whatever) before you put them back in your tank. Treat ALL of your zoanthids. Take six or seven more frags out of your tank and repeat the process until all zoanthids have been dipped. A couple of days later, you can re-treat any that appear to require further treatment in a fresh batch of the Furan 2 solution, but then you should give them a week to recover before any further treatment.
    Hope this helps!
    Likes Badfish liked this post

Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Thanks guys we picked up some Furan 2 and dipped over the weekend. Round 2 tonight, so far it seem to be working.
    Attached Images Attached Images