[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Fish to Include or Exclude in a Zoanthid Dominated Tank

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Default Fish to Include or Exclude in a Zoanthid Dominated Tank

Been giving some thought to this lately, as I'm considering a new tank set-up that will be almost exclusively zoas rather than a mixed reef. My tank will be small (a 20gal long), but I thought it might be nice to generate a list that others may reference as well. In thinking about the fish, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts of or experiences to share regarding fish that are must haves (help the Zs-n-Ps out in some manner) or definite do not want (harmful to Zs-n-Ps) in some manner.

Based on my own past experiences, I'll be excluding all types of tangs (size considerations as well as the fact that they often turn to nipping polyps) and angels (again size considerations as well as potential nipping). Due to size and sandbed considerations, I'll also be excluding Diamond Watchman gobies as well. Beyond that I'm not real sure, so I'm open to some suggestions.

Thanks in advance for contributing.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

kev2me - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kevin
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

Here are some general ideas.

Banggai Cardinals - They'll poop on your corals and probably never physically touch your zoas which could cause unneeded stress. Ok, so that may not cause any stress to a zoa . Captive bred are readily available as well.

Mandarin Dragonette - May not be the ideal fish for a new tank, unless it's eating prepared foods. They might be able to keep any pesky pods from bothering your zoas.

Sixline Wrasse - Maybe instead of a mandarin you could go with a sixline. They will help keep any pests at bay. Make sure you tank is covered though, so they don't jump out!

Work's out, I'll think of some more when I get home.

First Name
    Randy

Thanks for the suggestions Kev

Quote Originally Posted by kev2me View Post
    Here are some general ideas.

Banggai Cardinals - They'll poop on your corals and probably never physically touch your zoas which could cause unneeded stress. Ok, so that may not cause any stress to a zoa . Captive bred are readily available as well.
    I've seen a lot of comments about low survivability rate on these guys - don't know if thats only the wild caught ones or what. Any experience with that? How about PJ Cardinals, know anything about those?

Mandarin Dragonette - May not be the ideal fish for a new tank, unless it's eating prepared foods. They might be able to keep any pesky pods from bothering your zoas.
    Love these guys, but would really be concerned about survivability in such a small tank unless its eating prepared foods, and around here it stricktly order only.

Sixline Wrasse - Maybe instead of a mandarin you could go with a sixline. They will help keep any pests at bay. Make sure you tank is covered though, so they don't jump out!
    I've heard good things about these guys - help with bristle worms don't they? I've also heard that they can be a bit of a bully though when they get bigger. And, I don't know about the lid, I was thinking of maybe going topless on this one.

Work's out, I'll think of some more when I get home.
    Appreciate any future thought you can give it.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

FGCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(fancy gumdrop coral croucher). they are a super small type of scorpionfish that are awesome and BUILT for small tanks. they are on LADD sometimes.

First Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by demonclownfish View Post
    FGCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(fancy gumdrop coral croucher). they are a super small type of scorpionfish that are awesome and BUILT for small tanks. they are on LADD sometimes.
    Scorpion fish huh? I'll have to give that one a look-see

kev2me - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kevin
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

We have 2 pairs of Banggai cardinals, 1 is wild caught, the other captive bred. Both are doing fine and eating like pigs. But you're right, if you get a wild pair out of an LFS, they may or may not do well depending on how they were handled. A friend of mine went through several LFS Banggais before finding ones that wouldn't die right away. He actually eventually got a pair, they bred, and that's where ours came from. So yeah, I would highly suggest captive bred Banggais over the wild caught LFS variety.

I don't have any experience with the Pajamas, though I would think they would be very similar to Banggais in temperament, health, etc .

As for sixline wrasses and bristleworms... I'm not sure. I've never seen ours eat one. As for aggression, our sixline is pretty well mannered, but we have heard of them being terrors to Gold Stripe Maroon clowns...

Erika says, how about an angler. She was debating adding one to her nano contest tank.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

my sixline was an aggressive bristleworm eater lol. thats all i gotta say, i watched that thing slurp em down like spaghetti noodles.

brandeewyne - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    brandee

i have to agree on the CB bangaiis .. wildcaught seem to be much more of a risk lately. i know a few stores that won't even stock them unless they're CB. great little fishes!

another suggestion may be a lawnmower blenny. i think they are limited to SPS as far as nipping goes, maybe clam mantles. i think your zoas would be safe and those guys have tons of personality.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would choose colorful compatiable wrasses which do not mature past a lenght of 2 or 3 inches depending on the size of the tank, definitely get an algae blenny, and definitely no surgeons of any kind. Even the ones considered reef safe.

Mucho Reef
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

Kev Apsley - Reefkeeper CR Member

Pink Streaked Wrasse...I'm telling you will Thank me :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last