[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Hot and Heavy Topic!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    mallorieGgator - Reefkeeper CR Member
    RC Trouble Maker

Default Hot and Heavy Topic!

So, this topic is about vendors and selling corals that were recently fragged. I have seen and heard at shows and online vendors selling newly fragged corals. Also, I have heard of many vendors ordering in corals the day of a show and bandsawing them a few hours before the doors to the show open. The vendor sells for cheap so people buy them. I believe we need to educate buyers on paying a little more for a healthy coral vs. buying a cheaper one that is likely to die if not cared for properly. Any ideas on this? Has anyone seen this behavior? BTW- this has to do with all corals, not just zoas and palys.
    Mallorie Gaughran- U.F. Animal Bio Undergrad
    55 Gallon SPS and Zoanthid Dominant Tank with a few LPS and NPS here and there.
    Likes MUCHO REEF, Jarred1 liked this post

Jarred1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

This is a great topic, I have seen experienced retailers selling unhealthy frags as well as selling freshly fragged things. If people don't know what a healthy looking frag looks like then they are just giving their money to the vendor.
    "It happens, and as long as the clowns out there keep paying top dollar, they will stay top dollar. Just a way of life, imagine how much cheaper a Tahoe or Yukon would cost if the word 'bling' was never invented..."

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

As I always say-

Buyer beware. This topic will be very helpfull to many that are not experienced in the art of choosing viable corals, that have a much better chance of success than a fresh fragged coral.

All my favorite shops/vendors sell fully healed and many times fully matured frags.

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

ive decided early in the game.....so far....to buy larger specimens....the frags ive purchased half of them die.....the plum sized corals do very well

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Good thread to read up on, while we are on the subject, for those who are unaware of what to look for in a fresh cut or glued frag vs. a matured/healed one-

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/co...-buying-17499/

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

It might be helpful if someone had photos showing the difference.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Well it sort of depends on what kind of coral. I have bought or been given several sps where the owner just reached into the tank and busted a piece off, generally no problem. Similarly I have seen vendors take the band saw to dendro right in front of me, at the show ,again, no problem. Ditto with euphyllia and duncan. But apparently zoos and chalice have a hard time dealing with the practice.

I think also it depends on the tank they go into. Mature, well managed systems have less trouble than new tanks or tanks with inexperienced owners. As always buyer beware.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I always look to see if it's encrusted. As well as healthy and opened up. We need to educate the new comers to the hobby.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Jarred1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you are buying zoas try and make sure the zoas are growing on the plug, that shows some age for the frag.
    "It happens, and as long as the clowns out there keep paying top dollar, they will stay top dollar. Just a way of life, imagine how much cheaper a Tahoe or Yukon would cost if the word 'bling' was never invented..."

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred1 View Post
    If you are buying zoas try and make sure the zoas are growing on the plug, that shows some age for the frag.
    Depends again. I have never had a problem with z's & p's if you get a clean cut. I've fragged from one tank, put them into my other....again without acclimating and they were all opened back up within the hour. I've done this several times....fresh cuts and gave them (not sold) to other reefers who were over and liked my polyps. Just said, I'll cut you one. They usually opened up for them as soon as they hit the water w lights on. Haven't lost one yet.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last