[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

How to kill Paly's???

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    greenstarfish03 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

Default How to kill Paly's???

I have alot of Texas Trash style paly's that I need to eradicate and I'm looking for some suggetions. One rock I think I can get out and it probably has a few hundred of them on it. I was thinking about maybe usinga blow torch on this rock I have a second rock that is in the bottom of the tank that I can't get out. I figure I will have a problem with those. So I guess I have two questions:

1. What is th ebest way to kill paly's out of the tank when you don't have to worry about surrounding coral

2. What is the best way to kill them in the tank around other corals?

On a side not I thought I posted this last week, but I can't find it so maybe I forgot to hit submit

Thanks

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Use Aiptasia X on them. Worked for me if not dry out the rock. Better yet you could put it in your sump!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

First Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Use Aiptasia X on them. Worked for me if not dry out the rock. Better yet you could put it in your sump!
    Thanks for the input. I would have to buy bottles of aptasia x to kill all of these things. I may just end of drying the rock out. I don't want to keep it out long bc its an intricate part of my reef but it should take long to kill them that way I would think. The ones I can't get out are going to be harder I think

CR Member
    First Name
    mike

I know someone that used a aiptasia zapper to kill them over a little time and can be done with rock in tank with no issues with surrounding corals. I do make them and sell them.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by greenstarfish03 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I would have to buy bottles of aptasia x to kill all of these things. I may just end of drying the rock out. I don't want to keep it out long bc its an intricate part of my reef but it should take long to kill them that way I would think. The ones I can't get out are going to be harder I think
    Best of luck!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member

I once watched a hungry rabit fish make short work of zoas and palys.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Easy way is the zapper and works well.Less expensive way is to get some kalkwasser and mix with r/o water into a paste and then apply to the pally.there will be no palley when it's done. If they return just reapply. It is basically the same thing as aptasia x just allot cheaper but just as effective. Good luck.

First Name
    Joe

Thanks. I will give that a try.

First Name
    Joe

Ok I have some progress to report. I have a bit of an aptasia issue as well and I went into Reef Paradise and Andy suggested I use some Kalk paste on them as well. He was even nice enough to give me a bag of Kalk to try it out with.

I took out one major rock the night before I had the Kalk, but a lage softball sized frogspawn was stuck to the rock. I cut several palys off and then as chort mentioned I blow torched them. Well that did the trick and it seemed to kill most of them. I obviously couldn't blow torch all of them that were still in the tank so I tried the Kalk past and it seems to have worked pretty good on the Aptasia and Paly's. I just did a section of my tank last night so I don't introduce to much Kalk into the water at one time, and I will probably do a small section each night for a few days. This was you can really coat them b/c the paste is thick and its cheap so you don't have to worry about cost like you would w/ aptasia X or something like that.

Oh even after blow torching I still found a few alive on that rock so I had to Kalk paste them

Tonight I will probably have to deal w/ some aptasia that have grown in the middle of my zoas so I will have to try and kill the aptasia w/o killing the zoa. That should be fun.

All in all things look better already and even though a blow torch works there are probably better ways of handling this situation

For the record when I took the torch to my what appeared to be a coral to my wife she thought I lost it

Default Warning - do not blow torch palys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members on other sites have aerosolized palytoxin using this method and have become seriously ill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last