[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

If you are using Filter Socks, How often do you change them ?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default If you are using Filter Socks, How often do you change them ?

No, this is not a test.
    Just things to think about.

If you are using Filter Socks on your Over Flows.
    How often are you changing them ?
    &
    How are you cleaning them ?

Filter Socks collect Detritus & Uneaten Food.
    Even if these are changed on a Regular Schedule ( once per Week, Month, Year )
    This can effect your Water Quality depending on a few factors.
    Bio Load vs Frequency of Sock Replacement.

Drastic changes in Water Quality can have adverse effects on your Corals.

How do you clean the Socks ?
    When you put them in the Washing Machine,
    Do you use:
    Just Water ?
    Water & Bleach ?

What size Load do you use ?

Do you use the Second Rinse ?

I always use the Largest Load & Second Rinse, for 2 reasons.
    If you use Bleach, It helps to insure the Bleach is rinsed out of the socks.

There may be Soap ( Phosphates ) residue left in the Washing Machine from previous Loads.
    And the Large Load & Second Rinse helps to remove this.

John - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Good thoughts, filter sock maintenence is often overlooked.

I also use bleach and a double rinse. I change my filter socks 2x a week. (Or after I do a large coral feeding.)
    I will think outside the glassbox.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I am still not sure if I want to use one. Been thinking about it for a long time- but havnt done it yet.

Tagging along on this topic.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Talk about PITA, buy ya after seeing how nasty a sock can be after only 2 days, Im glad I do or all that stuff would be rolling around in the tank.

As for regularity of changing them, I shoot for 3 days. But it isn't uncommon for me to be a lazy reefer and wait for 5.
    I also wash them with bleach and a double rinse. I also run a rinse and spin empty before I put the socks in just in case there is any soap residue left over.

On a side note, make sure you never use the new splash-less bleach it is not reef safe.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

I run a filter sock and change it twice a week. I wash them in the washer,hot,low double rinse no bleach.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

I tried them once about 5 years ago, and vowed to never ever use them again. They will indeed help with water clarity. Depending on your bioload and feeding schedules, which would determine if I used one again? Why? Well, back in the day I changed/rotated a set of them out every 3 days. I placed it in my fug in line with direct capture from my tank above. After about 2 weeks of initial usages, and rotating them out every 3 days, I missed one day. While watching a game one Saturday, I heard water trickling. I turn the sound on the TV down, and it got louder. I ran over to my tank and open the door and sure enough, the sock was clogged and was spilling water over the edge of my refugium into the cabinet. For that reason alone, I yanked it and simple maintained a regular WC schedule and my water quality never suffered.

I use to wash my socks at the car wash with a power sprayer. I kept it at least 4 feet away as the excessive water force would shred the sock.

I guess they are great for some in certain situations, just didn't work well for me. Many reefers strongly advise against them for the reason I listed above.

Good luck.

Mucho Reef
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

CR Member

I ran them for quite a while. I don't like the small micron felt socks you usually see though, they clog extremely fast, are tough to clean, and the felt falls apart fairly quickly. I used nylon mesh socks with a 300 micron rating. It would pull out excess foods and pieces of Nori that got sucked into the overflow, but let tiny particles through that my skimmer would pull out. These are pretty much uncloggable...

For cleaning I would simply pull them out, turn them inside out and spray all the crap out then let them dry. They would look brand new and no need to use them in the washer, etc.

It really depends on the system and the reefer who maintains the reef if they want to use them. There are great reasons to use them, and just as many not to.

CR Member

I heard water trickling. I turn the sound on the TV down, and it got louder. I ran over to my tank and open the door and sure enough, the sock was clogged and was spilling water over the edge of my refugium into the cabinet.
    I have heard of this problem more than once, and water is better kept in Tank than on the carpet.

the sock was clogged and was spilling water over the edge
    If you are using Filter Socks, Regular Maintenance is a must.

It really depends on the system and the reefer who maintains the reef if they want to use them. There are great reasons to use them, and just as many not to.
    Well said.

I used nylon mesh socks with a 300 micron rating. It would pull out excess foods and pieces of Nori that got sucked into the overflow, but let tiny particles through that my skimmer would pull out. These are pretty much uncloggable...
    Not all Filter Sock are Created Equally.
    Micron Size,
    Material.

Research is the Key,
    To accomplish the Task at hand.

fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I use them on my breeding systems because I have to feed a LOT. I change them every 2-3 days. I usually take them outside and clean them with the garden hose until it gets too cold. During the winter I do it in the laundry tub.

I use the large ones, 6" diameter I think, so I don't have a problem with them getting fully clogged but I do keep an eye on them.

I don't use them on my reef tanks.
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com