[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

killing zoas

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    youngtimothy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default killing zoas

whats the best way to get rid of zoas? I have a couple hundred green zoas that are taking over, growing up on my SPS and sun coral. there just getting out of hand.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I have yanked palys out with forceps, that might not work as well with smaller polyps. Not sure if something like joe's juice would knock them out or not?

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

A jewel puffer, which was promised to me wouldn't touch a thing, snacked on about 1500 polyps back when my 55 was bangin' That was a hard lesson learned. Do not trust everything you hear, or read. Research research research.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

joes juice wont kill them..it will make them close up for a long time to where you can trim them back....

Rick

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

you go to a tractor supply you can get a syringe with a needle on the end. I imagine that a dose of boiling hot water injected into them would do the trick, but make sure you are running carbon as they will most likely be pretty mad and try to kill of the "attacker" by releasing toxins.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

youngtimothy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

thanks I'll have to try some of this. I was already thinking of joes juice and pealing them off. didnt think of the hot water though. I dont want to get rid of them all just half.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

if your able to take the rock out... just chisel away what you do not want... that way you have some you could possibly trade to a store or sell.
    fulltankshot 1 - killing zoas

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

If they're the only zoas in the tank what about trying to get your hands on a few sundial snails. That would be a "natural" solution.

Another option is peeling them off and gluing them to rubble to sell or trade. I've done this with zoas before and even if you mangle them they recover quickly.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I was going to say a razor blade and frag plugs
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

If their just standard green run of the mill zoas, which I bet on as the nice ones NEVER take over, is it really worth the hassle?? My LFS would give like $5 for 100 of them, since they are super common, and most with established tanks will stay away from weed zoas.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last