[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Knowledgable Zoa/Paly People I'm Calling You OUT!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Default Knowledgable Zoa/Paly People I'm Calling You OUT!

Where are all of you hiding? Threads are dying due to a lack of response, questions are going unanswered, I'm feeling lonely over here. Come on people, post up in the existing threads and start some of your own, lets get this forum moving. I wanna talk about something zoa related!
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

alrighty... how about we talk about the reason why some polyps just mysteriously shrink up one day and die?

First Name
    Randy

Ooooohhhhh lovely topic, I'm in. Thoughts on the matter (I have a few, but I'd like to see some other peoples opinions).

Kev Apsley - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by demonclownfish View Post
    alrighty... how about we talk about the reason why some polyps just mysteriously shrink up one day and die?
    that is a good question, I've noticed some of my zoas seem to periodically shed their outter skin, sorta like the larger leather corals like Toadstool do. I know that when the larger Toadstools can't "shed" they slowly wither away and melt, so good flow is crucial to their ability to "shed", I wonder since zoas are considered soft corals that the same principal applies and similar biological processes are taking place?

just food for thought, anybody else notice this shedding of skin on their zoas?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I seem to have that issue of shinking up too....some times the die and sometimes they come back. Still haven't pin pointed the issue. I'm thinking it might be water quality related.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Shrinkage ? Shedding?

Are you feeding external foods, if so, what?

Is there any correlation with your water changes?

If so, how soon and are your WC performed consistantly at the same intervals each month?
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

Kev Apsley - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MUCHO REEF View Post
    Shrinkage ? Shedding?

Are you feeding external foods, if so, what?

Is there any correlation with your water changes?

If so, how soon and are your WC performed consistantly at the same intervals each month?
    I've only noticed it on one or two polyps recently, I use a turkey baster to blow off detritus from my frags on a daily basis and I noticed some shedding on my Jason Fox Watermelon stolon, sorta peeled off when I blew water on it

I don't think it has aything to do with wc's since I've been performing them the same exact way for the past 4 years

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

What the heck again!!

Tell me, what's wrong with my zoa's? This happened over a 3 day period. No WC~no light change~no chemicals added~bristle worms crawling all over them.

Don't mind the pic I was messing with my new camera.

1st pic what they look like now
    2nd 2wks ago
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MizTanks; 01-31-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Miz I think you looked at them funny! lol but really somebody here has gotta know look at those poor things.

First Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Apsley View Post
    that is a good question, I've noticed some of my zoas seem to periodically shed their outter skin, sorta like the larger leather corals like Toadstool do. I know that when the larger Toadstools can't "shed" they slowly wither away and melt, so good flow is crucial to their ability to "shed", I wonder since zoas are considered soft corals that the same principal applies and similar biological processes are taking place?

just food for thought, anybody else notice this shedding of skin on their zoas?
    I don't think I've noticed shedding in my zoas. Its an interersting observation Kev, you don't happen to have any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I seem to have that issue of shinking up too....some times the die and sometimes they come back. Still haven't pin pointed the issue. I'm thinking it might be water quality related.
    Jim I personally think this is true far more often then not. I answered a thread on another forum where the OP posted up some pictures of pinched polyps and ask for suggestions to the cause. I asked about water quality and was assured that that was definitely not the issue as all parameters were spot on. Others jumped on board and stated that they were experiencing similar issues and their parameters were also spot on. I later posted up that I had seen similar issues in my tank and that I noticed them my alk had dropped. Several semi aggresive water changes later, the polyps in question had reverted to their normal look. After double checking, several of the other posters admitted that their water parameters were not quite as spot on as they thought. Not saying this is always the case, just saying that in this particular case, is seemed to be the issue.

Based on your observations and those of others, just how important would you say that alk levels are to the long term health of Zs-n-Ps? I often wonder how often people have bouncing alk levels, adjust their levels to "normal" levels, things go down hill and they go looking for answers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last