[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

lineage and names?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... Last
    korndiddy20 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

Default lineage and names?

I had a question for you all. Lets say for example you went to the lfs and found a small piece of what looks to be "my miami" or tyree bazooka joe or whatever. It looks exactly the same, there is no difference. What do you call it? Since it didnt come from the person who named it can we sell it as such? If someone says do you have lineage is the response no? With allot of these corals who are we lineageing (if thats a word) to? Say you went to a whole saler and and saw the owner of a website and you both were eyeing a coral and decided to chop it in half. If he goes and names it "super coral" can you sell yours as the same thing? if someone asks for lineage what is your response?

Im just curious as how this whole lineage and naming goes. I can see the argument on both sides but was just curious as to what the majority thought. Would you get made if you named a piece you found "super coral" and someone in cali sold there frag as the same thing and you know it didnt come from you?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by korndiddy20 View Post
    I had a question for you all. Lets say for example you went to the lfs and found a small piece of what looks to be "my miami" or tyree bazooka joe or whatever. It looks exactly the same, there is no difference. What do you call it? Since it didnt come from the person who named it can we sell it as such? If someone says do you have lineage is the response no? With allot of these corals who are we lineageing (if thats a word) to? Say you went to a whole saler and and saw the owner of a website and you both were eyeing a coral and decided to chop it in half. If he goes and names it "super coral" can you sell yours as the same thing? if someone asks for lineage what is your response?

Im just curious as how this whole lineage and naming goes. I can see the argument on both sides but was just curious as to what the majority thought. Would you get made if you named a piece you found "super coral" and someone in cali sold there frag as the same thing and you know it didnt come from you?
    In response to your last part are they both the same looking coral

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

"Lets say for example you went to the lfs and found a small piece of what looks to be "my miami" or tyree bazooka joe or whatever. It looks exactly the same, there is no difference. What do you call it? Since it didnt come from the person who named it can we sell it as such? If someone says do you have lineage is the response no?" -

I have to say, corals with names like Tyree, ORA, Garf, or any names with a company/stores name in it should have lineage to sell it by that name. The more common names, like whammin watermellon, miami, Bonsai, kedds redds, bambam, sunset, ect are just fine to use names as long as the peice looks identical.

If you have a peice that looks identical to a named item- that is normally lineaged, and it looks absolutly identical, like a Garf Bonsai- you can always drop the garf part and call it bonsai, or an ORA sunset Digi just a sunset digi, but you would then be putting your rep at risk. Many will see it as OK while others will not. I see it as OK, as long as the fact that there is no lineage is in plain sight, or common knowledge. I would definitly make sure buyers understood there is no proof to lineage.

"Say you went to a whole saler and and saw the owner of a website and you both were eyeing a coral and decided to chop it in half. If he goes and names it "super coral" can you sell yours as the same thing?"

Yes you could. And that would be proof of lineage. Now, if the store owner wasnt one of the big companies that commonly lineage or name their corals- dont be surprised when your coral is also circulating around different areas of the world with many other different names, as very commonly seen in the zoanthid collecting world.

"If someone asks for lineage what is your response?"-

Tell them the original namer and you split the coral if thats what happened, and if you have no lineage, tell the truth, and reply- I have no proof of lineage.

"Would you get mad if you named a piece you found "super coral" and someone in cali sold there frag as the same thing and you know it didnt come from you?"-

No, not at all......Its bound to happen. But if I was one of the bigger groups nameing corals and stamping them with lineage, and found this happening w/ a coral that clearly wasnt the same- I would definitly be bent out of shape. Especially if my, or my companies name was involved.

Lineage is a touchy subject to many, but not all. As a buisness, it gets even more touchy. Its not terrible for the small time hobbiest, but even then, can cause a stir.

I have a red planet mini colony. From what I would guess, it is an ORA red planet....but I never bothered to ask for sure from the person I got it from. Just to be on the safe side, if I were to frag it and sell some, I would sell it as red planet- and not indicate that its ORA. Even though it looks exactly like an ORA, and there is no reason to think otherwise, I never bothered to make sure, and I find it just as well to be on the safe side- just in case.

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Red Planet

Sir Patrick, I agree with your conclusions. Good questions from the OP. I bought a favia at the GRMAS swap that looks exactly like a Babies Breath favia. Do I know it is? No. So I call it a Babies Bottom favia and when I frag it a year from now, that's what I will call it. Your Red Planet colony is ORA; I got my starter frag the day after it was released by ORA, shipped directly to Preuss in Lansing.

First Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    In response to your last part are they both the same looking coral
    yes

First Name
    Mark

so does this mean that if you are going to name a coral you MUST put your name in front of it? because if you just called your monti, chili pepper, couldnt anyone call theres the same thing?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

i know this wasn't really part of the question but i suppose i can't resist commenting anyway.

IMO, i think lineage is just silly, and i dont buy a coral because it came from one person to the next. If i see a posting where the person is talking about lineage i move onto the next just because i know the price is going to be higher than what it should be.

heck i know the lineage of most corals. THE OCEAN. lol. Why should a coral be special because some guy picked it out of the ocean?

First Name
    Chris

Mynemisis- Thx! Looks like I have lineage on this one! I now feel safe calling it ORA if I feel the want to do so.

First Name
    Chris

Alot of names do play a role in things. Some of the places that name, or place lineage on things, are aquaculturing and the name lets you know you are buying an aquacultured coral- and not somthing wild caught, or somthing gotten and chopped up quick for sale.

Many of these said corals have been growing in tank situations, and are aclimated to tank life, and many times hold color or are proven to be much hardier than most corals, and have been groomed per say for the hobby.

I guess aquacultering is where the lineage of corals impotance matter most. Many other places will name also, but in the end, if they are just shopping and chopping, in the end its just another name.....

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    i know this wasn't really part of the question but i suppose i can't resist commenting anyway.

IMO, i think lineage is just silly, and i dont buy a coral because it came from one person to the next. If i see a posting where the person is talking about lineage i move onto the next just because i know the price is going to be higher than what it should be.

heck i know the lineage of most corals. THE OCEAN. lol. Why should a coral be special because some guy picked it out of the ocean?

I agree 1,000 % with EMUreef. Lineage has absolutely nothing to do with reefing, yet everything to do with making more of a profit. Thus misleading the buyer to thinking he or she is getting a line of corals traced back to Billy Bob's Reef Emporium in Flatrock and they are the soul owners of this polyp. Lineage, Limited Editions, New On The Scene and Only a Few Are Being Released, are all clues that you are about to empty your wallet because of hype. This is called Marketing 101.

Mucho Reef
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 01-16-2011 at 03:10 PM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... Last