[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Low nutrient polyps?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Low nutrient polyps?

I have found that some polyps do ok, and others just dissapear, in a lower nutrient tank. I would love to find some polyps that will do well in my tank.

Any suggestions/experiances with specific types of polyps that have proven to do well, or have not done well, in a lower nutrient environment?

So far, I have found that the smaller the polyp, the worse the odds of it surviving. A feeding responce is a definite plus. Anything blue, so far, doesnt last long.

Anyone have any info to share on the subject? I would like to add some more polyps to my tank, but the hit or miss finger crossing is starting to depress me a bit. I have been lucky to find 5 varieties that do well, and spreading my tank.

Sure could use some more!!!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sir I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. As you know I too suffer from *no zoa will live for me syndrome* actually at the moment I'm watching my Keds once again shrivel up and die, along with a few others. As of yet I haven't found an answer to this malady either
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Chris which ones have you tried that have been unsuccessful? For instance, have you tried P. grandis of any type?

it is my understanding that those polyps which are pink or have pink in them tend to retain colors better in a low nutrient environment. That being the case, I would tend towards those colors.

Additionally, those polyps which exhibit a feeding response are most typically going to be any type of paly and the PE type zoanthids.

Therefore some thoughts;
    Pink and Golds; if you're interested in trying these and there aren't any locally, I'd be happy to send you a frag for the cost of shipping. I'd love to see if they would pink up in your aquarium.

Hawaiian Ding Dang PE

White PE

Some others that I mights suggest that have done well in a buddies relatively low nutrient system are Vivid's Magenta, Tub's Blues, Eagle Eyes, Radioactive Dragon Eyes, Whammin Watermelon, and Cherry Bombs.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

First Name
    Chris

Funny you would bring up the pink zoas/palys. Those do the best in my tank, many times morphing to a very light pink, and the body turning a light cream to white color, instead of the usual brown/beige.

So far, Pink Zippers, AOG/DE (and similiar polyps), Mohawks, and PD/NG's do the best. I am starting to see a trend here- with the similar body types/colors. Looking forward to hearing about others, that maybe I havnt tried.

Tubs blues, Eagle eyes, Radioactive green dragon eyes, Whammin watermellon, Kedds redds, Green bay packers and most other comonly collected polyps, typically from vietnam ( I think) dont do well at all. They struggle to exsist. Normally melt after a few months- and never grow. And if the do grow, it is VERY slow, and normally recead shortly after the growth. Their colors sure are nice though! Much more vibrant than I have ever seen them in the past. I am seeing a definite trend in these body type zoas also- so I stay away.

I am experimenting w/ some PE right now also, but need more time to determine anything on those. I have had a single head of Martian PE for a long time, and seen no growth at all, in many different lighting flow conditions. I have recently picked up some Red people eaters (RPE) too- a bigger frag. Looking forward to seeing what happens.
    Last edited by Sir Patrick; 02-14-2011 at 11:15 PM.

First Name
    Chris

Miz-

this thread should be good for you. I beleive, with your tank maintanance/husbandry, along with your feeding regimin, you are running pretty low nutrient also. Could be key in your issues keeping polyps- ezpecially the types you seem to get your hands on, Tub's Blues, Eagle Eyes, Radioactive Dragon Eyes, Whammin Watermelon, and the like.

First Name
    Randy

Chris, if you've had good luck with PD and NG, have you tried Captain America? How about Hawaiian Death? I definitely would consider the Pink -n- Golds, but would urge caution, as they can be very prolific under the right conditions. The Vivid Magenta's should do well as well. Can you clarify AOD/DE for me? How about Purple Fission?

First Name
    Chris

Chort- I like the sound of your idea, but from what I have seen so far, is that some types of polyps are more suited to higher nutrients to others, naturally, like those found in tide pools, wash tunnels, and generaly dirty areas. I am looking for those that are more suited to low nutrient areas, like the deeper off shore reefs and similar areas. Exellent thought though! Now I am curious how well, with acclimation over time, this would work. I am sure there would be some cool morphs gotten out of the idea, if done properly.

Randy- I havnt tried Captain america palys yet. I refuse to pay more than $5/polyp, and havnt seen any available at this price as of yet. I will search the names hawaiian death, and vivid magentas,as I honestly have no clue what those are.

I have a feeling your pink and golds are the same as my Pink Zippers, but could be wrong. I will include pics for references.

AOD/DE- Sorry about that one! I meant AOG/DE, as in devils armor and armor of god. I am sure Purple fission would fall into the same catagory of polyp type as these, as well as armagedons, Goochsters, and Gobstoppers. I had pink fissions in a higher nutrient tank in the past, and lost them. I think they would be a good candadate for a lower nutrient tank though, if what I am witnessing is right.

Could you post a pic of your pink and golds?
    Last edited by Sir Patrick; 02-14-2011 at 10:13 PM.

First Name
    Chris

Heres a pic of my Higher nutrient morph of pink zippers.

Morphing

And Morphed to very low nutrient level- but still growing like mad!!!
    Last edited by Sir Patrick; 02-14-2011 at 10:42 PM.

First Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Randy- I havnt tried Captain america palys yet. I refuse to pay more than $5/polyp, and havnt seen any available at this price as of yet. I will search the names hawaiian death, and vivid magentas,as I honestly have no clue what those are.

I have a feeling your pink and golds are the same as my Pink Zippers, but could be wrong. I will include pics for references.

AOD/DE- Sorry about that one! I meant AOG/DE, as in devils armor and armor of god. I am sure Purple fission would fall into the same catagory of polyp type as these, as well as armagedons, Goochsters, and Gobstoppers. I had pink fissions in a higher nutrient tank in the past, and lost them. I think they would be a good candadate for a lower nutrient tank though, if what I am witnessing is right.

Could you post a pic of your pink and golds?
    Chris, to my knowledge C. America hasn't dropped that much yet either, IME they grow significantly slower than the NG and PD.

Hawaiian Death is one of Kevin's from Aloha Corals;
    HawaiianDeathpaly8April2010 - Low nutrient polyps?

and the Vivid's we got several years ago.
    ZoaVividsMagentazoas7Dec09 - Low nutrient polyps?

Can't tell on your pink zippers, but here are my Pink-n-Golds when I first got em (everyone says the pink is brought out by low nutrient levels);
    DJsPinkandGoldpalys08Oct09 - Low nutrient polyps?

What they look like now in my tank;
    Pink n Golds27April2010 - Low nutrient polyps?

PinkandGolds20April2010 - Low nutrient polyps?

Also wonder how these Lunar Starfires might do for you, but they are a very small polyp;
    LunarStarfirezoas8March10 - Low nutrient polyps?

Also have you tried Cat's Eyes?

CR Member

I have found that some polyps do ok, and others just dissapear, in a lower nutrient tank. I would love to find some polyps that will do well in my tank.

Any suggestions/experiances with specific types of polyps that have proven to do well, or have not done well, in a lower nutrient environment?

So far, I have found that the smaller the polyp, the worse the odds of it surviving. A feeding responce is a definite plus. Anything blue, so far, doesnt last long.

Anyone have any info to share on the subject? I would like to add some more polyps to my tank, but the hit or miss finger crossing is starting to depress me a bit. I have been lucky to find 5 varieties that do well, and spreading my tank.

Sure could use some more!!!
    I don't have any info but this is exactly the same thing I see in my tank. Bigger the polyp the better. All of my pinks do fine. Anything with blue dies. Also purple deaths do well.

I have been dealing with the same issues and now I believe it is caused by low nutrients.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last